Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do You "Private Listing" On Ebay?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 571Next Topic  
Valued Member
240 Posts
Posted 09/11/2020   11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add canyoneer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been selling some duplicates on eBay for a few years and have always used "private listing" option. This makes it so that after a sale, no one can see what was sold or who bought it. I was wondering lately if that is really helpful. When I buy from someone, it is sometimes helpful to see what type of material they have sold. What do you think?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
942 Posts
Posted 09/11/2020   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can only speak for myself but I avoid "private listings."

Dan
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Valued Member
Learn More...
489 Posts
Posted 09/11/2020   11:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As above, just speaking for myself, I ignore sellers who use private listings. I may be too paranoid but, in the absence of some stated plausible reason from the seller for doing that, to me it just raises suspicions. You have to measure the pros and cons from your perspective as a seller. But I would assume that doing private listings cuts down on the size of the audience looking at your material, and may thereby reduce your realizations.
Edited by Oracle of Delphi - 09/11/2020 11:50 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
435 Posts
Posted 09/11/2020   11:48 am  Show Profile Check wheelman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheelman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have never bought a single thing, stamp or otherwise, from a private listing.
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Posted 09/11/2020   12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add percyjgp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I personally don't see the reasons for using private listing. You can't see who bought anything as they don't publish anyone's actual account in the bidding list anymore. This most likely doesn't apply to you, but I feel that the only reason people sell things with private listings is they are hiding their shill bidding evidence.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4177 Posts
Posted 09/11/2020   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I avoid private listings completely. Do not buy!
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5107 Posts
Posted 09/11/2020   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "private listings" choice is one of a list of tick-boxes on the eBay form. I suspect that many sellers click on it without giving thought to what it entails or how it may be preceived.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6081 Posts
Posted 09/11/2020   2:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If I see a private listing I won't even give it a 2nd look and I run away from these listings. To the OP, why would you not want people to see what you've sold in the past? eBay hides the buyers identity so even without a private listing people can't see who the buyers are.
Forum Dad
USA
1562 Posts
Posted 09/11/2020   3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I personally don't see the reasons for using private listing.

Adult items. Lot's on eBay.
Valued Member
240 Posts
Posted 09/11/2020   6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone. Seems that option was default when I set the listing up ... not sure why. Went back and removed that private listing option.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1616 Posts
Posted 09/11/2020   6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As above, just speaking for myself, I ignore sellers who use private listings. I may be too paranoid but, in the absence of some stated plausible reason from the seller for doing that, to me it just raises suspicions.

To Bobby's point regarding adult items, you still cannot find out anything meaningful about any bidder (aside from which sellers they frequent). In philatelics the only plausible reason I have ever come up with for private listings is a license to shill bid (since eBay started hiding actual screen names).
Edited by shermae - 09/12/2020 12:54 am
Valued Member
177 Posts
Posted 09/11/2020   7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobplates to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shill bidding is an adult activity
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4926 Posts
Posted 09/11/2020   7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Private listings make me feel dirty.... in a good way.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1324 Posts
Posted 09/12/2020   09:39 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with everybody else, I won't buy from a private listing. Occasionally I will notice a buyer with private feedback and I will immediately block them from buying from me. I don't know what they're hiding and I don't want to find out.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
319 Posts
Posted 09/18/2020   1:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Private Listing is a popular choice with crooks, as it makes it that much harder to spot things like shill bidding.

So, in general, I agree that its wise to avoid such listings.

However, some legitimate sellers also use Private Listing for one reason or another (Sometimes they just don't know any better), so I have made some great bargains buying things from such sellers, as most bidders would have been put off. But it does mean you have to exercise even greater than usual care.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1616 Posts
Posted 09/18/2020   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I still think Rog's post in this thread is the best one

Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 571Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05