Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Customizing Steiner Pages

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 550Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
464 Posts
Posted 09/11/2020   11:42 am  Show Profile Check wheelman's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add wheelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been using Steiner pages for a number of years printing the 8.5 X 11 standard on a variety of page sizes. My wife was looking at some of the pages and made the comment that it would be nice if you could change the straight borders to something that maybe had some scroll work in the corners. I did a forum search for "customize Steiner pages" and did not find an answer.
Has anyone done this, and can you explain how, to someone that is not a computer wiz?
Thanks for looking and helping.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
Posted 09/11/2020   12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add percyjgp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It depends on what format you have. If you can delete the border than you should be able to change it. If not, then it gets a little more complicated. If it is a .PDF there are ways to export it into a Word file, and then you can edit it from there. I use Microsoft Word and input a watermark for a border, as you can find many free page borders online. Just find something you like.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
Posted 09/11/2020   1:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add moneil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I modify Steiner pdf pages using Libre Draw (libreoffice.org, free download).

My purpose is very different as I am modifying the 8-1/2 x 11 inch Steiner pages to fit on the 9 x 12 inch Harris album page size, and I may change the stamp layout to be more chronological rather than strictly symmetrical.

When I open the Steiner pdf with Libre Draw I format the page size to 9 x 12 inches and then I drag the boarders to fit the larger page outline. In a previous topic on Steiner pages some commented that the Steiner pages were "too plain". One of the elements I like about them is their simplicity, and too frilly of a boarder distracts from the stamp display in my humble opinion, though I may be an out layer in this regard.

In any event, once you open the Steiner pdf in LibraDraw you can delete the existing boarder (just click on it and hit delete), and then you can create a new border with the design you like, but I've never done that so I don't have any coaching tips.

For some reason I've not had the best luck printing from the LibraDraw format (.odg), so when I am all done I use the "Export as PDF" function from the File menu to create a new pdf.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2866 Posts
Posted 09/11/2020   2:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also use LibreOffice Draw to modify pages. There are multiple threads on the topic with examples but depending on search words may not be able to locate them.

This is mod I was did using different fonts and a border on Don Denman's pages.

Al
Valued Member
170 Posts
Posted 09/11/2020   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wheelman,

As several others have pointed out, LibreOffice Draw is the way to go. As to how much of a computer wiz you need to be, I found this: some things will be pretty simple to customize and others not. Borders are dead simple. Just download and install the software (Libre Office). Start up Draw, open the Steiner pages you want to customize. My fooling around showed me that Draw imports a .pdf as more than just an uneditable picture. The border is an object, actually a couple objects. Just click on the border, delete it and go find a new border or border elements you like and load them up, position them and save it back into a .pdf.
Edited by banknoteguy - 09/11/2020 9:45 pm
Valued Member
170 Posts
Posted 09/11/2020   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wheelman,

Some more data for you. I had never used Libre Office Draw. I downloaded the package and installed it. Took a few minutes to download. Install was simple. No issues. Time 10 minutes, maybe less.

So how hard is it to take a Steiner page and change the border?

First, I had to find the Denman pages. They are on the stampsmarter site - I knew this because I know stampsmarter is Denman's site. Pretty simple to find them. Downloaded a one of the three types. Big file, 400 pages. Issue. I have a fast machine and it did not load well into Draw. I am not good at waiting. So, I killed Draw and used Adobe Acrobat (cheap but not free) to delete all but one of the pages in the Denman file. The resulting file loads real quick into Draw. Loaded up a Steiner page. Selected the border (multiple pieces) from the Denman page, copied and pasted that onto the Steiner page. Sent the border I pasted to the back (a standard layer thing and easy to do but you may have not encountered it). Moved the title text down a bit. Saved the file as a .pdf (exported actually). Elapsed time not counting the first issue, 5 minutes.

You can also use Draw to make your own borders.

Image of the page I created below.

Edited by banknoteguy - 09/12/2020 07:44 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2866 Posts
Posted 09/12/2020   05:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are two notes in using LO Draw.

First when you open a Steiner PDF, Draw wants to change all fonts to Liberation Sans.This font is different than Helvetica and even Arial. You can select another font when the prompt comes up.

Second, the text inter character spacing is different than Steiner. You need to add about 0.4pt to get closer to Steiner spacing. It is most obvious in country names. This change is made in the text properties panel.
Al
Edited by angore - 09/12/2020 05:58 am
Valued Member
170 Posts
Posted 09/12/2020   07:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
angore said,
Quote:
when you open a Steiner PDF, Draw wants to change all fonts to Liberation Sans

Well, like I said, I have never used Draw. The version I installed is 7.0.1.2.

It did not try to change the fonts. The font, in the file I chose [Bahawalpur], comes up Helvetica which seems correct as Acrobat Reader says its Helvetica also. I just downloaded this .pdf from the Steiner site yesterday.

Possibly you are using an older version of Draw or an old Steiner page? I also have only just started looking at Steiner pages.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2866 Posts
Posted 09/12/2020   07:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am using version 6.4 and have not upgraded to 7.x yet. The very early PDF's had Arial MT and now it has subsetted Helvetica. I do have Helvetica installed so maybe that was fixed in 7.x release.

You can actually open PDF's in Scribus but the results are not as satisfying,
Al
Valued Member
Learn More...
464 Posts
Posted 09/12/2020   07:41 am  Show Profile Check wheelman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheelman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perfect feedback. I will try this later and hopefully post some positive results.
Thanks much
Paul
Valued Member
170 Posts
Posted 09/12/2020   07:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I posted another reply but it disappeared. Not sure why??

Anyway there are better ways to modify the borders of Steiner pages than what is shown above. Scalable vector graphics is what you want. Look for .svg borders for stamp album pages.

I found one easily and used it as a border for the Bahawalpur Steiner page I used as an example above. Draw supports .svg graphics, so you just delete the original border and drag and drop and then resize the graphic to fit.

Partial image below to show the quality.

Valued Member
Canada
44 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add helder to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When you guys open the album page (pdf) on LibreOffice Draw and later export/print did you notice some differences in the boxes sizes or they are kept as the original?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2866 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The differences I see:
1, If Helvetica is not installed, Draw will propose an alternate but you can change it.
2. The character spacing for the country is tighter reset to 0pt. It takes about 0.5pt to get it to light like original.
3. Text is imported into text boxes but for denominations is split. For example, 5C (C usually small caps) are separate.
4. Sometimes you may think the objects cannot be edited but you have to ungroup/uncombine to separate them.
Al
Edited by angore - 10/19/2020 12:43 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 550Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.45 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05