Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sparks Sale - Sept 2020 Expensive 3d Beaver

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 593Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
662 Posts
Posted 09/13/2020   08:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jimjung to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was told that these 3d stamps sold for $50. Take a look at this one in the current Sparks Sale - Lot 21 opening at $675 on Sept 22.

How come this one has an estimate of $750?

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
469 Posts
Posted 09/13/2020   09:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Where did you see that a used 3d beaver imperforate sold for $50? My 2018 Unitrade Catalogue prices a used VG example at $75 CD and a used VF example at $300 CD. The example that you show in your post is well beyond VF and approaching Superb if sound. 3d beavers showing parts of two other stamps and with additional margins like this one are exceptionally scarce.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1007 Posts
Posted 09/13/2020   10:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The lots like #14 or 15 would be more likely to sell in that range if it did not have the numbered ring cancel and had a smudged or indistinct cancel.
Pillar Of The Community
3356 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   06:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott/Unitrade 4d thin paper variety with jumbo margins.
(Unless mistaken, I think I can see horizontal laid lines on right margin closeup. If so, then it would make it Scott/Unitrade 1.)
Edited by jogil - 09/16/2020 06:51 am
Valued Member
392 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   11:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If one looks at the auction listing, there is clearly a reserve placed on the lot. I assume it's the consignor's "I don't want to sell it but..." price.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
662 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   09:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjung to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the Reserve is accurate. In an American Auction that stamp would sell easily for $500 USD plus premium. I have seen hammer prices as high as $750 USD for this quality.

Reserves are there to protect the Seller against Bid Rigging and Collusion, which is illegal but occurs in these stamp auctions in Canada. Buyers in collusion or other forms of corruption buy high quality stamps at low prices and turn around to sell them at the actual value. They generally make more than the original owner.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
556 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   1:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It appears that lot didn't meet the reserve in the auction and didn't sell, from looking at the realizations. There were a number of early Canada in the same situation.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 593Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05