Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bought Stamps From A Collector From The 20s, Stamps 594 And 596?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 29 / Views: 821Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
12 Posts
Posted 09/14/2020   05:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Shakespear1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Im sure you guys get this all the time.I collect coins and I Hear from someone once a day wanting to know if the 64 Kennedy they have is an SMS...but no crap I purchased this lot of stamps from a collector who passed and his kids are selling everything for nothing. Needless to say he had a ton of proof sets and mint sets I was buying cheap when I hit a folder of stamps with nothing on cover. Inside among others was these and wrote out beside them was scott 552, 575, 578, 581, 594, 596, 597, 604, 632. These people hgad no idea what these were and I got the whole folder for 10$..so tell me please from one collector to another is scott 594 and 596 in this few here, cause every other page and stamp were right. This guy who passed knew his coins, I would assume he knew his stamps...is these two in these?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4798 Posts
Posted 09/14/2020   07:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 09/14/2020   08:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shakespear1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
it says to identify these rare stamps you have to compare them to the cheaper and more common 596, 532,632...which of these are those
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5052 Posts
Posted 09/14/2020   09:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I susoect that it would be helpful for you to have a perforation gauge when identifying your stamps using the Stampstarter site. I doubt if anyone can offer guidance without good quality scans of the individual stamps.
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 09/14/2020   09:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shakespear1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
is there anyone of these that can be identified ....it would help.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6921 Posts
Posted 09/14/2020   10:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They can all be identified - just need to start with the perforations as GeoffHa suggested. If you go to www.stampsmarter.com you can print a copy of a perforation gauge to help find the perforation value of your stamps.
We can also assist if you scan your stamps singly, preferably on a black background

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2945 Posts
Posted 09/14/2020   3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The same is true of stamps and coins. You will encounter lots of common material before finding the rare item. The list of Scott catalog numbers in your original post are the many look-a-likes. Most are common (printed in the 100's of millions). The rare varieties are just that - very rare. It is always best to assume you have the common variety.

It would be helpful to know your current level of interest in stamps - whether to learn enough about them to ID them yourself (thus the directing toward a perforation gauge) or just to get ID answers. This will make our replies more efficient and to the point.

To get you started toward a quicker answer, based mainly on shade, the 9 stamps in the first 2 images are likely 632. They will gauge 10.5 along the sides. The 3rd image is a coil stamp 597. The last stamp if perf 11, so most likely to be 552.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1008 Posts
Posted 09/14/2020   6:38 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As an analogy, a 596 is as rare as a 1943 copper penny. If you had a handful of 1943's, what is the chance that there would be a copper penny in there?

Best wishes, Ray
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4798 Posts
Posted 09/14/2020   7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found this on the ground outside of my car today.

Pillar Of The Community
3309 Posts
Posted 09/15/2020   08:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is possible that the previous owner did not know how to identify the stamps that he had so that he wrote out all of the possible catalogue numbers that he thought that they might possibly be.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1843 Posts
Posted 09/15/2020   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The hardest part is watermark identification. By far.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2945 Posts
Posted 09/15/2020   2:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This issue has NO watermarks.
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shakespear1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
more pictures...

Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   9:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shakespear1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
the first 8 are the ones I suspect to be 594 and 596 because they are seperate...he has 5 differant holders under the plastic. 5 together, thr two one above the other, and two together, and another 2 together
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shakespear1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
the very last one is marked scott 314. this folder has 12 pages of stamps. and I have a folder for every year going back to 41..
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2945 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
May I suggest ...
1. Assume all IDs from previous collectors are incorrect and start from scratch.
2. Assume every stamp is the most common variety.
3. Acquire and become adept at using a perforation gauge.

Apply the 1943 copper/steel penny analogy here. What are the odds of finding 8 copper 1943's at once? See point 2.
We are trying to be nice and let you down easy, but the odds of having a 595 or 596 (let alone multiple copies) are longer than Powerball odds.
Page: of 2 Replies: 29 / Views: 821Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05