Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Belgium, Scott #q1: Postal Or Railway Cancel?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 208Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
544 Posts
Posted 09/14/2020   7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add EMaxim to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
All my other parcel post and railway stamps have railway cancels. Hoping this one is postal.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France
1259 Posts
Posted 09/14/2020   8:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bruxelles (Duquesnoy)
Duquesnoy Street is the address of Railway Central Station in Brussels.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by vayolene - 09/14/2020 8:23 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
544 Posts
Posted 09/14/2020   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks
Valued Member
United Kingdom
141 Posts
Posted 09/15/2020   08:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crispinhj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These hexagonal cancellations were used from 1879 until 1914 (and after in some cases) There are a number of different types, and I think this appears to be the fourth type shown on page 33 in the Jones "bible" of cancellations with the last two digits of the year in fancy type

This shows just a few of the main types - there seem to be loads of other differences. The 8-S under the month shows that it was stamped in the evening, S = soir
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
544 Posts
Posted 09/15/2020   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Crispin. Very helpful. This is my first encounter with the octagonal cancels. What is the Jones "bible" that you mention? And are the examples you show from Jones or are they your own?
Eric
Valued Member
United Kingdom
141 Posts
Posted 09/15/2020   10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crispinhj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
the Jones Bible is produced by the Belgian Study Circle https://www.belgianphilatelicstudyc...ublications/

It is one of the more fascinating books in my library (if not the most fascinating) and well worth the 25 including postage I paid for it. It has been updated and revised since its first publication, my copy is dated 2003 and I think that's the most recent.

No, sadly not my stamps, the image I posted is from the book as a taster of the sort of information it contains
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
544 Posts
Posted 09/15/2020   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Appreciate your help here. I'll seek out a copy. It seems exactly the thing I need and should have. And what a wonderful resource this forum is as well.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 208Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05