Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Warped Sealed Sheets

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 569Next Topic  
Valued Member

247 Posts
Posted 09/15/2020   02:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Torin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am assuming that warped sealed sheets are due to being stored in highly humid conditions, correct? What percent less is a warped sealed sheet worth vs one that lays flat?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5078 Posts
Posted 09/15/2020   04:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
American-made LPs used to warp because of the shrink-wrap in which they were encased, rather than humidity. Are you sure this isn't hapoening here?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
406 Posts
Posted 09/15/2020   1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would be more worried about the humidity aspect of your post. It is very possible that the humidity has caused the sheets to stick together, or stick to the plastic that they are sealed in. If the gum has become stuck, or even disturbed, then this would have a great effect on value. If they are simply warped, with no impact on the gum, as long as they are not creased, or as long as the sheets aren't falling apart, I would think a little warping would have little impact.
Valued Member
247 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   12:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if tight shrinkwrap causes warping or a high humidity environment does.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
372 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What sort of sealing wrapper is around the stamps? Is it tight to he borders of the sheets?
What happens to one of these warped sheets when it is removed from its sealed environment? Does it stay curled or warped?

Photo?
Edited by jleb1979 - 09/16/2020 2:25 pm
Valued Member
247 Posts
Posted 09/17/2020   12:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jleb1979: The listing in the link below is an example of what I mean by a warped sealed sheet.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marilyn-Mo...AOSwUwRfWsdt

What caused this sheet to warp? Should a sheet like this be worth less to most people than one that is also sealed but not warped?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5078 Posts
Posted 09/17/2020   03:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I revert to my suggestion that the shrink-wrapping is the cause of the problem. Are you looking at these or similar to collect or use for postage? If the former, they should flatten. If the latter, it doesn't matter.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
958 Posts
Posted 09/17/2020   2:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seeing the link to the Marilyn Monroe pane reminded me of another danger of shrink-wrap. I had a USPS Marilyn Monroe "Stamp Folio" for years, still in the shrink-wrap. When I eventually decided to remove the shrink-wrap, it was already too late. The shrink-wrap had adhered to the folder and could not be removed without damage.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2742 Posts
Posted 09/29/2020   5:01 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmmm... I have NEVER had damage occur to my still-sealed US stamps... then again, they are all stored in flat locations.

I wouldn't think humidity would effect the shrink-wrap itself, UNLESS too much heat was applied when it was "installed" and the plastic has any sort of hole.

I used to have to shrink-wrap things when I worked at a print/copy shop YEARS ago, and too much heat could indeed make the plastic too tight, causing the paper inside to "warp"/buckle. If I remember correctly, that is the type of wrap the USPS first used when they switched to pre-packed stamps.

Today, they seem to use a simpler style of wrap, one that is simply a sheet with heat applied just to seal it.

If there are no "air holes", then humidity shouldn't reach the stamps or cardboard inside. If there ARE holes, then you may get moisture BUT I really don't think it will cause issues with modern self-stick stamps.

Just my 2-cents
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2375 Posts
Posted 09/30/2020   12:15 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen examples of US stamps that were plastic wrapped where in places the plastic left behind a residue on the stamps (you could see it by holding the stamps at an angle to a light and you would get more reflective patches). This was 20 or 25 years ago. edited to add the places where the residue was left behind was here the plastic was lightly stuck to the stamps.
Edited by eyeonwall - 09/30/2020 1:36 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 569Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05