Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

2 Cent Green Admirals Coils

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 386Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
117 Posts
Posted 09/15/2020   11:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Trodent to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Are these 5 examples fake? Sheet stamps cut/trimmed to be Coils?

Trodent
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
3309 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   06:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Canada Scott/Unitrade 128a (1, 3, 4, 5)
Canada Scott/Unitrade 128 (2)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by jogil - 09/16/2020 06:27 am
Pillar Of The Community
7157 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   10:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Trodent
Great 128a stamps.
Keep looking for Scott 128a stamps with a version that has not been recognized in Unitrade yet...It is hairlines present on Scott 128a as shown below..

Robert

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
495 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Number 2 seems to be a paste-up coil pair. At least, that is what I would call it in US stamp lingo.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6921 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wkusau, looks much more like a line pair to me ( with the line in the incorrect place )

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
7157 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wkusau

I used my software program to put light coming from the top left portion of the stamp.....The way the light settled to me means the RED arrows is higher than the YELLOW arrow....paste-up.???

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1288 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   5:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
May be if you show the back it will help confirm paste-up?
Learn More...
8394 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   5:56 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Robert,
As we have previously discussed, the software is only detecting the color of the pixels and has nothing to do with any z axis (height) distancing.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
7157 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   6:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
May be if you show the back it will help confirm paste-up?

Trodent...Gilles le timbre has good point...Can you post a picture of the back...??

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2945 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is quite clear that #2 is a "coil pair with paste-up at left".

The mis-use of the software to create the false 3-D image should be deleted. Note the light from the top left creates the unprinted letters of CANADA to cast shadows to the lower right as if they were raised. And other portions of the image trick the software to create additional false interpretations of what is actually high or low. File the image under "fiction".
Valued Member
385 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I too am tired of seeing these manipulated images masquerading as research.

In statistics there is an old saying "torture the data enough and it will confess to anything". The original question was kindly answered already.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2945 Posts
Posted 09/17/2020   2:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll slip in scans of my 128 paste-up single on card used in 1927...
Entire card:

Close-up scan of the stamp:

Photo with raking light from right, which shows the paste-up shadow of the two layers at the extreme left edge, the extra layer of paper under the left third of the stamps causing a vertical ripple, and a series of vertical indentations across the forehead from the dispensing rollers inside a vending machine:

And a paste-up tangent on a one-cent coil ...
Unitrade 131iv, Experimental Toronto coil pair with paste-up at bottom, front and reverse, hinged at top.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1277 Posts
Posted 09/17/2020   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John Decker

Your top stamp has a longer eyelash than the bottom stamp.

It is not a listed variety.

Perhaps more examples exist for consideration as being a constant variety.

Valued Member
Canada
117 Posts
Posted 09/17/2020   9:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trodent to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was just curious if your 128 green admiral 2 cent had a green dot in the bottom left hand corner. see the examples below

This is a strip of 3, could there be a strip of 4,5,6,7,8?

is it possible this pair came from 128a. no straight edge at bottom

yes this is a paste up. Guess better to have the paste between the 2 stamps.

as for asking if they are fakes see
http://www.bnaps.org/ore/VanSomeren...s-Fakes.htm.
it shows a green dot in the bottom left hand corner.

Just curious if they are?
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 386Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05