Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Questions About Russia

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 99 / Views: 2,259Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
566 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It would help if you told us why you think it may be a stamp with inverted groundwork. The burden of proof is always on you.

Now go back to first steps. Using a "recent" edition of the Scott catalogue which includes Russia (Volume 5), first determine the catalog number of the stamp in question. This is very important and should be the starting point. . .

Looking at the first stamp from your last scans, it is a 70 kopeck value.

Looking in my 2009 Scott Volume 5, I see three possibilities for the 70 kopeck stamp:

Scott 38, issued 1883-1888.
Scott 67, issued 1902-1905.
Scott 86, issued 1909-1912, vertical lozenges of varnish on face.

So now you have the list of potential candidates. The work of determining which is your stamp falls to you, and is an exercise you need to become comfortable with if you intend to continue this collection.

That said, in doing the work to determine which Scott numbers your stamp could be, I saw that none of the three is listed as having a variety with inverted groundwork.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
331 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   11:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Ok so I have a sg#86
Let's start there
There's no crown on the bottom so not a major inverted
(So worth pennies)
From what I read the dots in the background should be down?
How's that
Valued Member
Canada
331 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not asking for anyone to do my homework
I'm not even asking anyone to look up anything really...
I'm asking in this design style in the groundwork
Should the dots in the diamonds be up on a normal
Print?
Sorry I thought it was simple a question
I'm new to speaking stamps
I'm just as good at reading Russian Apparently
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
566 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   2:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Have you used the SCF search function? There are a number of excellent threads about this very topic (inverted groundwork) with examples, illustrations etc.. You can take advantage of the work that others did to find the information that is out there.
Valued Member
Canada
331 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   2:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I know Emaxim so I'll quote you in a old thread-
And in sum, regarding inverted groundwork: They begin to appear in the designs of 1866-70 and continue to appear right on through the 1909-12 issue. If the design includes a crown, the inverted groundwork is identified by the phantom crown that appears as a white space at the bottom of the stamp. If the design has no crown, we look at the two dots inside the diamond shapes (rhombi) that form the pattern of the groundwork. There will usually be one dot near the center of each diamond and a second dot either above or below the one in the center. If that second dot is below the first, the groundwork is properly positioned. If the second dot is above the first, the groundwork is inverted. If any of this is wrong, please let me know.
Valued Member
Canada
331 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So what was the answer?
Valued Member
Canada
331 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   3:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
where you right where there any corrections?
Valued Member
Canada
331 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
http://goscf.com/t/69600
He's the link to that post (couldn't figure out how to directly quote on my phone)
Maybe I confused something (it happens)
But didn't see anything after you last entry
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
566 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If the design includes a crown, the inverted groundwork is identified by the phantom crown that appears as a white space at the bottom of the stamp.
Valued Member
Canada
331 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And if doesn't include a crown?
Valued Member
Canada
331 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Would that just be reference to the 10,20 and 50 kon and the a14 and a15 examples?
Valued Member
Canada
331 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And if that's the case to clarify
The ones with the crown will only be a inverted
If a phantom crown is present?
Valued Member
Canada
331 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No phantom crown=No need to double checking dots at that point
Valued Member
Canada
331 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   6:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah ha
One of the links I couldn't access On my phone
Made it perfectly clear
I believe it was a post from versa
And it said in red lettering
The dots are not a way of checking anything but the 4,10,20 and 50 kon
Or something to that degree
Thanks emaxim And dale for working with me on that
Much appreciated (I know I can be a pain )
I thought the dots was a way of double checking
if there was no phantom crown present
Had to go about it the hard way apparently
Truly appreciate the help!!!!!
Out of curiosity do you have ideas about my perforation questions
At the beginning of my adventure threw Russia's stamps
Or ideas about the #138 (that's off the top of my head not in front of my book)
7r Horizontally laid and 13 1/2 x 13 1/4

Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Which catalog(s) do you currently have access to? Please list them with name and year.

Dale
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 99 / Views: 2,259Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.9 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05