Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Questions About Russia

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 99 / Views: 2,244Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7030 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please read the catalog numbers. The pictures are for #78a and #80a. The inverted ones are 117 and 118

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
478 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I assume what is confusing you is that underneath the picture of your stamp, it has the small letter 'a'. What I assume this is referencing is the *type* of surcharge. The left stamp shows an example of surcharge style a and the right stamp is showing surcharge style or type b (I would need to see the whole catalog page to recall for sure - but something to this effect). It is not referencing the catalog number designation of 117a.

The catalog number of your stamp is simply 117. With the correct upright surcharge. If you had stamp 117 with surcharge type a, and the surcharge was visibly upside-down (counterfeits aside), it would be 117a. If there was a distinct doubling of the surcharge, it is 117b.
Edited by stamps101 - 09/23/2020 5:39 pm
Valued Member
478 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is 117a and 118a courtesy of Cherrystone Auctions:

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
565 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice explanation, stamps101.
Valued Member
Romania
263 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   03:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Information about varnish stamps from Michel's catalog. Maybe German connoisseurs will translate the text.

I found a 1917 stamp that has this varnish overprint. It is harder to see on used stamps.

Valued Member
Canada
331 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I figured that the surcharge wasn't inverted
That's why I said it looks normal to me
Usually in my old book A and B are examples
Of the A or B verity not the style that's covered
By the listing number

Still lookIng for the lozenges
The visual is helpful but sadly still don't see it
Gonna get in some fluid and see if it helps
Valued Member
Canada
331 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   09:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok so to have a better understanding
I Watermark checked a bunch
And think I know what to look for Lozenges
Correct me if I'm wrong (Happens often)

Valued Member
Canada
331 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   09:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Or is that watermark #171
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
565 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your photos are showing the lozenges of varnish. But remember, the link that I sent you also said:

Quote:
If you're not seeing any network it might be missing - this is a variety that's known for all 1909-1919 issues.

Quote:
there are known varieties with the network missing.
Valued Member
Canada
331 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   10:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just wanted to make sure I truly knew what I was looking for
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 99 / Views: 2,244Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.84 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05