Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1908 Double Line Watermark Imperf One Cent Stamp

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 202Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
594 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   09:40 am  Show Profile Check kcaramat's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add kcaramat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a #343 WF imperf with the number 341 written in pencil on the back. The stamp I have was used in 1909. To anyone's knowledge was this stamp ever identified by Scott as a 341 ? If so, when was the revision to 343 made.

I had a price list from 1912 and Scott numbers aren't referenced. I realize I don't even know when Scott numbers became the standard.

Any information is appreciated.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6932 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The current Scott number system goes back to 1940. Before that there was a very different system, and just about every stamp issued up to that time would have had to have a number change.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2922 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Short answer: no.

Longer answer: As you knew, you were correct to suspect renumbering when finding what appears to be an incorrect number on a stamp from an old source. Revcollector is correct, 1940 is the pivotal year for much of the current numbering system. Looking back, this portion of Scott was essentially current in 1925:

Scott Standard Postage Stamp Catalog, 1925, page 20 (All the world in one tiny volume!):

I do not have a 1924 Scott catalog, but the 1923 Scott, pages 13-14 shows the previous iteration of the numbering for this area (looks like our modern 343 was then 323a):

And back to the 1915 Scott, pages 12-13, essentially the same. Note the recognition of the blue papers even back then as sub-varieties.

Edited by John Becker - 09/16/2020 10:55 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6932 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   11:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FYI
If you want to compare the value of a $1.00 Commodity in 1915 there are four choices. In 2019 the relative:
real price of that commodity is $26.20
real value in consumption of that commodity is $58.90
labor value of that commodity is $123.00 (using the unskilled wage) or $162.00 (using production worker compensation)
income value of that commodity is $168.00
economic share of that commodity is $549.00
Pillar Of The Community
United States
594 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   12:30 pm  Show Profile Check kcaramat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kcaramat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You for all of your expertise. I was trying to see if there was a justification for the marking on the back. I have rotated the scan and it looks more like a 344 now. Most likely just mis-marked.

I have attached a scan.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2922 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   3:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You've teased us by not posting a scan of the front.
Valued Member
United States
40 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   4:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add percyjgp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Based on your scan it also looks like you have a Attleboro private perforation on it. Only 3 US stamps were perforated using this method. 343, 344 and 371.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
594 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   5:23 pm  Show Profile Check kcaramat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kcaramat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry, here is the front.

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 202Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05