Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Washington Type I Issues #25?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 313Next Topic  
Valued Member

30 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   12:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Riley111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am trying to learn how to identify the different types of the early Washington issues. I have identified these 5 as Type I, as I don't see any inner frame lines. Thus they are all various shades of #25?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2922 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   3:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You don't indicate what reference you are using to ID these, but look for the top and bottom frame line first.

The top center stamp has top/bottom frame lines, thus a Scott 25 or 25A, depending on whether you have type I or II.

The remaining 4 stamps do not, thus can only be 26 or 26A, depending on whether you have a type III or IV.

So take a good look and let us know what you find and we can confirm or point out the next steps.

Otherwise, yes, there are shade varieties to these 4 Scott numbers.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by John Becker - 09/16/2020 6:56 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2676 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   6:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To be a #25 you need top and bottom frame lines along with the left and right sides.
http://stampsmarter.com/features/SQ...Plating.html
Edited by stampcrow - 09/16/2020 6:42 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2336 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   8:25 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The only Type I stamp is the one at top center. All others are Type III.

Unless you sell on eBay, you need to be mindfull that top and bottom row Type III stamps can appear to have a broken frame line at either top or bottom and can be easily mistaken for a Type IV.

Your bottom right stamp has what is mostly a natural straight edge and an interpane guideline.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2922 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The original poster said he was trying to learn. I was trying to teach. Bring them along a few discovery steps at a time. Sigh.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2676 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John, that's why I linked to Stampsmarter, it has decent visuals and is a good reference tool for someone trying to learn.
Edited by stampcrow - 09/16/2020 8:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2922 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   8:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that is good.
Valued Member
30 Posts
Posted Yesterday   12:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Riley111 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone. I appreciate your efforts to help me learn, John. But I also appreciate others who so readily share their knowledge.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2922 Posts
Posted Yesterday   12:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Riley, You are welcome. Now given a new group of mixed 25, 25A, 26, and 26A stamps, can you confidently separate them?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
854 Posts
Posted Yesterday   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mr Becker!
So lurking on this thread, I think I have learner lots!
I always thought it was colour that sorted 25/26 but now it's frame lines?
So looking through my collection, this would be a #25?

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2922 Posts
Posted Yesterday   8:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Color is more of a 10 vs 11 and 10A vs 11A with the imperfs, rather than these later perforated versions.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
854 Posts
Posted Yesterday   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Aha!
Thanks John
So am I on the right track? Is that a #25?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2922 Posts
Posted Yesterday   10:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It does, and if incorrect, no doubt a quick correction will be posted by someone!
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 313Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05