Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

British Guiana 1860, Different Background Color?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 257Next Topic  

Canada
3 Posts
Posted 09/18/2020   3:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jsilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is a picture of my stamp:

(sorry it's a bit blurry)

The background behind the sails looks white.

Looking online for this stamp, all the pictures I can see have a colored background, eg:
https://siegelauctions.com/2016/1143/3150.jpg

Is it a variant of the same stamp or a different stamp or just worn down?

I am somewhat new to stamp collecting so sorry if this is a dumb question.
Send note to Staff
Edited by jsilver - 09/18/2020 3:15 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6986 Posts
Posted 09/18/2020   3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You will have to post a much better picture for this question, preferably a scan

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
460 Posts
Posted 09/18/2020   3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello,

I cannot speak to the background, but if memory serves me correct on these, the word RETIMUSQUE spelled with an R indicates a forgery as it should read PETIMUSQUE.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5110 Posts
Posted 09/18/2020   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3011 Posts
Posted 09/18/2020   3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stamps101, You remember correctly! I finally had a chance to grab "The Serrane Guide" off the shelf and it confirms the "Retimusque" spelling is a characteristic of one of the forgeries. That said, forgeries are still useful and collectible.
Canada
3 Posts
Posted 09/18/2020   6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jsilver to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah that solves it, thank you! I did not realize people forged stamps but I can see why they would have done so in earlier times.
United States
3 Posts
Posted 09/22/2020   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floradd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Collecting British Guiana is one of my three areas of interest, and yes your stamp is a forgery. I agree that stamp forgeries.com is an excellent place to start, as I did not long ago.

I have also found very useful Evert Klaseboer's CD which has images of the real stamps and then the forgeries and fakes. I paid I think $29.99 for the first of his two part World CD's (didn't need the second, it's alpha by Country name). It's been very helpful with BG and occasionally another country.

If anyone knows other good sites I'm all ears.
Valued Member
460 Posts
Posted 09/22/2020   7:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is anyone aware of Evert Klaseboer's CD's being printed and sold in a "catalog" form in colour? That would sure be a handy thing for the bookshelf. I'm more of a paper & physical book person so the CD's I likely wouldn't use much. I just looked them up and they look quite amazing.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 257Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05