Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1c Franklin Imperf - Where To Start

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 322Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
974 Posts
Posted 09/18/2020   4:31 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add rlsny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This had been identified as a #7 (type II) by the previous owner but I am unable to validate that with the top cut off. With the imprint I'm hoping finding it might not be too hard. Clues appreciated. Thanks.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
974 Posts
Posted 09/18/2020   4:43 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, I figured it has to be a position 60 on the right - so 60R2 certainly looks good to me.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
708 Posts
Posted 09/18/2020   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rlsny - You are correct about the row due to the mark (highlighted below) but I think 60R4 looks better, making it a type IIIa.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2198 Posts
Posted 09/18/2020   5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Right 60R4, its a plate 4 F relief. Note the flaw under U.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
974 Posts
Posted 09/18/2020   5:13 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, good spotting. That scratch or whatever it is appears across multiple stamps in that row. I found a perforated strip from that row here: https://www.usphila.com/us/stamp/pr...tt-22-page-2

Seems like that must be it. Nice. Thanks!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
974 Posts
Posted 09/18/2020   11:10 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see also that the cancel is nearly complete. I'm seeing Oct 2 1857, and a town name ending in ASTER. Is there a tool somewhere to search for a town name given only some of the letters?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1009 Posts
Posted 09/18/2020   11:21 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You could try Jim Forte's site, and use a wildcard before the letters and it would give you any city/town in the US with those letters and the dates that the post office was open.

Have used this many times looking at 1861's when I only had several letters of the city.

Good luck! Nice stamp btw! Ray
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
974 Posts
Posted 09/18/2020   11:34 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm leaning towards Lancaster, Pa. But the state is not readable. Here's one, but that is similar though not the same size: http://lcps-stamps.org/wp-content/u...7-1899-3.pdf
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
974 Posts
Posted 09/18/2020   11:40 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Retro reveal to the rescue. Lancaster, Pa it is!

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1367 Posts
Posted 09/19/2020   09:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Imprint copies from Plate 4 are particularly hard to come by. Nice one, rlsny.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 322Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05