Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old Catalogs That Came With Collection

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 809Next Topic
Page: of 2

Canada
3 Posts
Posted 09/19/2020   03:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jsilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is there any value in them or reason to keep them? I am thinking to throw them away.

Here's what I got:

Scott Standard Postage Stamp Catalogue Volume 1 (1976)
Scott 1977 Standard Postage Stamp Catalogue Vol 3
Scott 1977 Standard Postage Stamp Catalogue Vol 4
Speciale Catalogus 1960 (Netherlands)
Katalog Popularny 1977 (Poland)

Seems to me I can find anything online these days much easier than flipping through a book.
Send note to Staff
Edited by jsilver - 09/19/2020 03:43 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
943 Posts
Posted 09/19/2020   05:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi jsilver

First off, not everything is on-line. It seems that way, but it is a misconception.

The catalogs for the Netherlands and Poland I would definitely keep. However, if you really don't want them I would put them on e-Bay or some other stamp site and get a few dollars.

The Scott catalogs (which may be possible to replace) may have information that is useful to you, depends on what you collect.
Again, if you really don't want them put them up for auction or sale as the specialized catalogs.

In any case, just don't throw them out. They may be of use to someone.

Personally, I still use Scott 1926 and 1945 catalogs as they contain information no longer presented in the newer Scott catalogs.

Jerry B

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 09/19/2020   08:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bluejay2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I concur with jbcev80. Furthering the options, I suggest donating unwanted books to a used book sale. Various charities may conduct such sales in your vicinity. Sometimes public libraries have continual book sales. Some collector may find the books as a joyous treasure.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1875 Posts
Posted 09/19/2020   08:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a 1958 HE Harris catalog whicch I absolutley treasure. Wish we could buy stamps today at those prices!

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
504 Posts
Posted 09/19/2020   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At this point, I have actually seen suggestions that burning books is the most economical thing to do. Libraries don't want old reference items, many thrift stores are no longer taking them, book sellers are getting pennies for them, etc. I suggest offer them up on here for the cost of postage! If someone wants them, great. If not,
recycling them is better than throwing them away.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
209 Posts
Posted 09/19/2020   4:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amccleaf1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Last time I replaced my Scott catalogs, the old set was less than 10 years out of date. No used bookstore would touch them, so I gave them to Goodwill, hoping they would make someone happy.
Valued Member
Learn More...
395 Posts
Posted 09/19/2020   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bring them to your next local stamp club meeting. My guess is they will last about 17 seconds on the free table.

We have also used donations like that as door prizes for those who bother to attend the meetings. Table of free stuff - if your ticket gets pulled - you get your choice from the table.

CV19 has definitely clamped down on our meetings, but free catalogs get snapped up immediately when we did have them.

Some of our fellow collectors are, well, thrifty...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2382 Posts
Posted 09/19/2020   9:55 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
no one in my local club would want Scott catalogs that old
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1603 Posts
Posted 09/19/2020   10:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A bit surprised that J Silver recommended to keep a Polish catalog from 1977. Earlier this year I found a full-color, trade paperback sized Polish catalog from 2005 (I sell used books and it appeared in one of our full truck load purchases of books). It seems to be a concise catalog rather than a comprehensive.

Amazon did not recognize it so it could not be sold there. It's written in Polish so that probably explains why Amazon doesn't have the book in their database. So I brought it home "just because" but not sure I'll ever need or use it.
Edited by shermae - 09/19/2020 11:43 pm
Valued Member
Canada
73 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   12:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am surprised by the recommendation of posting them on eBay. Unless it is for local pick-up, the postage costs would deter anyone from bidding. I tried listing a 2015 Scott volume 1 for $2 plus $15 S&H and got no bids.
Valued Member
Spain
201 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   06:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello.
I guess everyone knows this.
Regards.

http://www.stampspoland.nl/
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1507 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   06:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Old catalogues are also important to have to cross reference catalogue numbers when sections get rewritten.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
116 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   10:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add moneil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am surprised by the recommendation of posting them on eBay. Unless it is for local pick-up, the postage costs would deter anyone from bidding. I tried listing a 2015 Scott volume 1 for $2 plus $15 S&H and got no bids.

I agree from the standpoint that I am usually loath to pay more for shipping than an item cost. On the other hand, a book qualifies for media mail at $2.80.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1603 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
$2.80 for media mail is the first pound. Any addition pound over 1 lb costs I believe $0.53. Scott's weigh perhaps 4 lbs.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2382 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   2:45 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
and there are some postal clerks that refuse to allow catalogs to go media mail - in their mind a catalog is a commercial offer to sell and not a reference work no matter how much you argue with them
Valued Member
Canada
73 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is no such thing as media mail in Canada, unfortunately. Therefore, it makes sending a book, especially a heavy Scott catalogue a very expensive delivery. Trust me, every catalogue that I have been able to sell on eBay has ended up being a financial loss. After my last unsuccessful listing in June, they now just go into the recycling bin.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 809Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.45 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05