Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Inherited Stamp Collection Need Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 442Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
9 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Flyfish331 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone,
I recently inherited a stamp collection. I need help identifying if there is anything of significant value here. I know they all have value but because I have so many stamps I am looking for anything remarkable. I will begin posting by country starting with Great Britain. Thanks in advance for all of your expertise and willingness to help!

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Flyfish331 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had to downgrade the images so if anyone needs a close up of a stamp let me know.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3611 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quick question before we give you some standard answers to those that ask the same thing. Are you interested in selling the collection, or are you interested in continuing said collection?
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Flyfish331 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To be honest I am interested in selling. If they are not worth much I will keep them because they are interesting, but I have other things that I collect that I would invest the money in.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3611 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, you won't be able to sell on this forum, until you reach 50 quality posts. As others will tell you, condition is everything, and if you check the catalog values, you will find that those are for pristine condition. This means, at best, you will probably be offered somewhere from 2% to 50% of catalog value, but usually on the range of 5-10%.

First page items are all too closely cut to get anywhere near catalog value. I have the Scott 2017 catalog.

Second page, 9p, is probably Scott 40, which catalogs $400 used. 2 shilling blue is probably Scott 55, which catalogs $200 used. 5 shilling is probably Scott 57, which catalogs $600 used. 4 pence at bottom is probably Scott 70, which catalogs $325 used.

Third page at bottom, you probably have 4 pence green, Scott 103, at $210 used. 6 pence, Scott 105, at $240 used.

The others vary, but some value there also. You should review some of the other "New Collector" posts for suggestions on Stamp Smarter, and how to get catalog values.

If you want, please post early pictures of other countries, and you will get some comments back. But just be reminded, again, that catalog value is one thing, actually sales value is another. Good luck.
Valued Member
United States
251 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On the second page you have a few that have a faiirly high catalogue value, so if they are in decent condition you might be able to get a few bucks for them if sold individually. The 9 penny one lists at $400 in Scott (2015 edition) , the 5 shilling one at $600, the two shilling one at $200 and the fourpence one at $325. If the rest of the collection has more stamps as nice as these you might really have something worthwhile , of course it all depends on condition, at least from your photo the 5 shilling one looks pretty nice. Let's see some more pictures.
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Flyfish331 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
awesome thanks guys. which countries should I focus on to start? this book has alot of stamps from alot of countries (including ones that no longer exist.) Ill keep posting pics
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   6:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Flyfish331 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2497 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To be able to tell you much more about the stamps that you are showing, we will need to see them better, meaning larger pics.

But there's a size limit, so to work around that limit, you need to remove everything thing but stamp from the pic.

A bunch of editing work, but 45 more posts with quality pics will possibly get ya some more stuff to fly fish with.
Edited by littleriverphil - 09/20/2020 8:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
799 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   8:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
flyfish331

Unitrade is a stamp catalog for all things Canadian. Two of the stamps posted deserve closer examination and perhaps certification.

Below is a copy of a page from the 2019 Unitrade Catalog. Note there are different versions of these two stamps with very different catalog values. Stamp forgeries are common with stamps that have high catalog values. Are these two stamps real or fake? It takes a certificate of authenticity to answer that question for many collectors. Experts will make their own call but less experienced collectors like to see a certificate. If you're going to try to sell your collection you never want to sell until you know what you have.

Edited by gettinold - 09/20/2020 8:27 pm
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Flyfish331 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again guys! littleriverphil are there any that look good from a distance? It would take awhile to get closeups of each stamp. Also these are just some of the pages. I have another book of stamps as well. The two books I have were regarded as junk by my relatives. My family is cleaering out alot of collectibles. We have two other books that are supposedly of higher value. Since no one else is interested I will be getting those as well. Gettinold. How do I get these certified. I live in upstate NY. Are there any experts on this forum around here? It is hard to read your image. What could the value be on those 2 stamps?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6969 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   9:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
flyfish, go to the website: www.stamps.org and click on "community" Then go to "clubs" and put in the location where you are. You will get a list of nearby stamp clubs

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1603 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a good idea to move the camera in as close to the stamp as the camera allows. Too close will be blurry so it has to be just right. Then, the image will be mostly of the stamp, and you can still edit out background along the edges of the stamp to help make it larger. And, this step will help reduce the size of the file.

The last images look pretty good at least for a cursory identification.
Edited by shermae - 09/20/2020 9:42 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
799 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   10:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
flyfish331

I use the Philatelic Foundation in NYC: http://www.philatelicfoundation.org/ There are also certification authorities in Canada. I have never used any of them. Perhaps a few forum members from Canada can suggest one. Certificates come with fees. The fees are normally based on the catalog value of the stamp.

As far as value is concerned...Depends on whether it is genuine or a replica of a genuine stamp. The value of a genuine stamp ranges from the thousands to the tens of thousands. What a genuine stamp might fetch at auction would depend on the variety and the condition of the stamp. In any case you should proceed with caution. You have your work cut out for you.

You might want to view this website: http://stampforgeries.com/forged-st...ewfoundland/
Edited by gettinold - 09/20/2020 10:28 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 442Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05