Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

King George V Sideface Varieties

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 217 / Views: 5,707Next Topic
Page: of 15
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
674 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   2:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is one of the numerous Sideface issues with a defective crown. This is a 1d stamp, BW 82 (SG 125) from Plate 2, Pane III, Position 45. In this case, the top of the cross on the crown slopes downwards from right to left.

First seen in 1915, the variety is on all issues to Final.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by itma - 11/24/2020 6:06 pm
Valued Member
Australia
143 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add langtounlad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ACSC describes pane III as being on Plate 2.

Regards
Frank
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
674 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Frank. You are, of course, correct. Just one of my usual carelessnesses. I have corrected it.

Frank.
Edited by itma - 11/24/2020 6:09 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
674 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   3:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yet Another 1d green - BW 82(3)p (SG 125) with notch in top frame at left. Plate 3, Pane VI, position 40.

This is a stamp with a long history. The stamp at commencement in 1914 was retouched, resulting in a thinning of the GE in POSTAGE and thickened ends to the shading lines between the King's neck and a thinned oval border above these letters.

Now you can forget all that, because it has nothing to do with the BW 82(3)p variety.

In June 1928, new steel cliches were substituted for positions 34, 35 and 40, the position in question, all rolled in from Die I. In ACSC the Position 40 variety is noted for the nick in the top frame, close to the left corner. The D.M. Neil study identifies it by a slight thinning of the right green frame and a resulting widening of the white frame line. Both of these attributes are illustrated below. (The grey insert is of a more standard stamp to show the difference in the margin width.)

Valued Member
Romania
318 Posts
Posted 11/26/2020   3:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
I am missing the 4 1/2 pence stamp and I want to buy it. I need your help to evaluate the decrease in value due to the state of the perforations. The stamp is MNH.
I think it's 1924 Scott # 35 (ASC # 76?) with two possible flaws.
Thank you for help.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
674 Posts
Posted 11/27/2020   09:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All I can say at present is that it is Die I (Thin letters of value. watermark), BW 118D but the variety is not listed in ACSC. The ACSC catalogue value for MNH is AuD 125. If I were actively collecting, the perf would definitely put me off.

In mid December, I will be able to get in touch with contacts in a UK group to see if they can plate this example. We do this over Facebook (UGH!) who have barred me from opening new topics for 30 days even though they say I have no violations. Facebook support really sucks.

Frank.
Valued Member
Romania
318 Posts
Posted 11/27/2020   10:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you itma.
Australian stamps rarely appear for sale in Romania and that's why I think I'll buy it (the price is $ 1 and no one has bid)
I also noticed a white spot above I in AUSTRALIA. I'll put better pictures when I have it.
George

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
674 Posts
Posted 11/27/2020   11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
George:

At $1, you can't go far wrong.

There is another feature which may or may not be constant: a small coloured line in the margin, just below the bottom left corner.

Frank.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
674 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a Die II 1d BW 92 (SG 96) from Plate 1, Left Pane, Position 14, in which there is an upward spur on the white frame of the left value tablet.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
674 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   5:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another Die II 1d BW 92 (SG 96), this time from Plate 3, Right Pane, Position 52. This stamp has an impressive split vertically down the right frame, starting at the top.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1153 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aussie Al to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
G'day Itma

1 red KGV Die 2 are a favorite of mine I have thousands of them .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
674 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   7:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Al:

I've only got a small percentage of that. Probably about 700, mainly 1d and 1 1/2d. My father got these in the 1940s and 50s as kiloware and only did an initial weed out apart from the obvious varieties, mainly as per ACSC back then.

Why don't you add some of your varieties to this topic?

Frank.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1153 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aussie Al to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Small multi watermark die2 perf 13 x 12 plate 4 showing 4/L47 type B re-entry (top left) directly under is 4/L53 type C re-entry .
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1153 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   10:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aussie Al to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Die 2 perf 14
This is from the scarce plate 1A , 1a/R42 white flaw joining first E of Three to first E of Pence .

Plus a couple of "tin shed" type flaws for good measure .
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30771 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   10:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Plus a couple of "tin shed" type flaws for good measure .

Respectfully disagree
Hickey, pimple, or Druckzufalligkeit.

Going by the halo.

Apart from that, a fabulous stamp.
Edited by rod222 - 11/30/2020 11:00 pm
Page: of 15 Replies: 217 / Views: 5,707Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.18 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05