Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

King George V Sideface Varieties

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 258 / Views: 8,362Next Topic
Page: of 18
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1160 Posts
Posted 12/06/2020   12:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aussie Al to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Void Corner 2L59 A.J. Mullett first correction .
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
726 Posts
Posted 12/06/2020   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Identified this one today with the help of the Gordon Ward study. BW 92 from Plate 1, Right Pane, Position 59 - Shallow cut in left frame starting 16-l6 mm. from N.W. corner.

Edited by itma - 12/06/2020 12:29 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
726 Posts
Posted 12/07/2020   11:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Back to my favourite, the 1d denomination. This time it is BW 82 (SG 125) from Plate 3, Pane V, Position 13. The close up shows an inward bulge on the left frame. In the close-up image, I have added a rectangle to emphasize the variety.

This is not listed in ACSC or the DM Neil study - my current two go-tos. It was identified from the Wallen document posted in http://goscf.com/t/51767&whichpage=105#670915. Thanks, Rod.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
726 Posts
Posted 12/07/2020   12:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another 1d Head, this time listed by ACSC as 82(1)de, from Plate 1, Pane I, Position 46. ACSC identifies this by the notch in the lower frame below the N of ONE. There is a second notch under the O and a third between the N and E as indicated in the second close up. The Neil study identifies it by the diagonal scratch from the right frame to the fourth wattle down as in the first close up.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
726 Posts
Posted 12/07/2020   2:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another 1d green BW82 - from Plate 2, Pane 4, Position 34. This is one of the cliches substituted in 1928. The colour shading lines are generally somewhat thinner than normal and particularly
so below the value tablets. This makes the right hand shading appear to be quite lighter.

In the two close-up illustrations, the grey portions of the image come from more normal stamps.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
726 Posts
Posted 12/15/2020   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This item (2 examples) originally shewn on Page 3 has been identified as coming from Plate Position 21R48. The first example is as the variety appeared. The second contains a subsequent retouch. (Thanks to a BSAP contact.)

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
726 Posts
Posted 12/15/2020   4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an odd one, for which I do not have a position. It is a 1d red BW 89. There are irregularities all the way up the left side. The right frame is considerably thickened at the expense of the white border between it and the shading lines. The wattle leaf beside the frame seems to have added bulk and the leaf details is almost nonexistent.

Below is an image of the stamp, then a close-up. In the close-up, the black part of the image is a more or less regular stamp for comparison. The grey area similarly is to show the extent to which the frame has been thickened. A good part of the shading lines, particularly behind the Kangaroo, have become solid areas of colour. Given that most other areas of the stamp show good detail, the cross on the crown looks like a crude retouch or make ready and the shading lines to the right of the emu's legs lack definition.

Can anyone identify this?

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
726 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   3:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a 1d red BW 92 coming from Plate 3, Left Pane, Position 30 (3L30) with a deformed crown.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32503 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The right frame is considerably thickened

Typo
Pmk JERILDERIE nsw
Edited by rod222 - 12/18/2020 5:30 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
726 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   7:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Rod. That saves me a search,

Frank.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32503 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   7:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Frank,
have I posted the Maltese Cross, atop the Crown ID sheet ?
I think I have a page of varieties.

PS the typo is the Left frame, not the right , just a FYI
Edited by rod222 - 12/18/2020 7:06 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
726 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, yes, you are right. My proof reading is for the birds.

I don't think you have posted the Maltese Cross. If you have varieties, I'd love to see them. Things are slowing down on my side as, for the last couple of weeks, I am down to new finds.

Frank.
Edited by itma - 12/18/2020 9:59 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32503 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   10:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unable to locate it right now Frank.
As it pops up, I'll post.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
726 Posts
Posted 12/23/2020   06:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found this one yesterday, hiding in plain sight on a 75 year old album page.

BW 127(3)d (SG 130 variety not listed) 5d orange-brown Die II from Plate 3, Left Pane, Position 1. As Die II was only used for this final issue of the 5d Sideface, this variety does not exist on other issues.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
726 Posts
Posted 12/23/2020   12:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is 2d Red Die III - BW 103k (SG 127w if the watermark is inverted, otherwise variety not listed) where there is a flaw on the upper look of the S of AUSTRALIA for which I have 3 copies. This comes from the booklet Position 4. (There is a variety 103j where the upper loop is completely filled in, coming from Position 1 in the booklet.)

This variety exists for all Die III issues, i.e. BW 102k and 103k.

Page: of 18 Previous TopicReplies: 258 / Views: 8,362Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05