Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

King George V Sideface Varieties

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 258 / Views: 7,704Next Topic
Page: of 18
Valued Member
Romania
398 Posts
Posted 12/24/2020   05:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi itma
The cracks in the white lines are also interesting and the colored line in R.
Is there any information?

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31655 Posts
Posted 12/24/2020   05:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow!
I do not believe what I am seeing.
Looks like photo meddling to me.
Never seen anything like it before.

A hiccup in the scan process?
Edited by rod222 - 12/24/2020 05:54 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
725 Posts
Posted 12/24/2020   10:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, I see what I did wrong. I use Corel Photopaint.

I (1) scan at high resolution and save, then (2) copy the variety area and save, then (3) reduce the full scan to a legal SCF data size and save. What happened here is that between steps 2 an 3, the copy mask shifted on the full sized image.

Merry Christmas to all,

Frank.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
725 Posts
Posted 12/24/2020   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the correct full stamp picture for the previously posted (on Page 24) BW 103k - flaw on S of Australia. For completeness, I have included the image of the flaw.

Edited by itma - 12/24/2020 2:52 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
725 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The first for today is BW 127(3)d from Plate 3, Left pane, Position 1 with a distorted upper frame at right. This variety exists on both issues of the 5d stamo, i.e. with multiple small and Crown/CofA watermarks.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
725 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   2:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now for a real windfall. Two copies of BW 127(3)r hiding in plain site on an album page with a CV of $300 each. This stamp comes from Plate 3, Right pane, Position 60. Only found with the Crown/CofA watermark.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31655 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   2:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Both Queensland Postmarks,
BRISBANE and GLADSTONE
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
725 Posts
Posted 01/19/2021   09:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a 3d Die Ia (Retouched Die I), BW 107D(3,4)k with the "dot after E of POSTAGE" variety. This is a master plate variety which exists on both Plates 3 and 4 on the Right Pane in Position 1 (3,4R1).

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
725 Posts
Posted 01/19/2021   10:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a 1d Die II, BW 91A(4)i - Central bar of second E in PENCE deformed. It comes from Plate 4, Left Pane, Position 55.

Correction: Following discussion with Tasnaki, I now believe this BW 91 variety to come from Plate 3, Left Pane, Position 30 (3L30). I have previously posted (Page 14 of this topic) an image of BW 92 from position 3L30. It would be interesting to see a full image for 91(4)i or 92(4)i.

Edited by itma - 01/19/2021 10:22 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
725 Posts
Posted 01/19/2021   10:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another 1d Die II, this time BW 91(1)i from Plate 1, Left pane, Position 50 - Cut in left frame with widest end abour 22mm from the bottom left corner.

Correction: This comes from Plate 4, Right Pane, Position 48 (4R48). Thanks to new(ish) member Tasnaki (Welcome aboard!) for pointing this out.

Edited by itma - 01/19/2021 10:24 pm
Valued Member
New Zealand
24 Posts
Posted 01/19/2021   11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tasnaki to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Itma

Your 1L50 looks more like 4R48, see scans below. Very similar but the top right corner is shaved on yours.

Tasnaki
Valued Member
New Zealand
24 Posts
Posted 01/19/2021   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tasnaki to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Itma

There appears to be a cut through the crown top, your 4L55 could be 3L30 as shown below.

Tasnaki
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
725 Posts
Posted 01/19/2021   1:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As you can see, I've been going through a pile of BW 91 Die IIs today. This one is not listed in ACSC and is found on Plate 1, Left Pane, Position 57. The variety is described as: Right frame shaved at top, with prolongation of top of top frame in a short curve over the shaved area.

Valued Member
New Zealand
24 Posts
Posted 01/19/2021   2:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tasnaki to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Itma

What resources are you using for plating the Die 2's?

The scan below is 1L57 with the top of the right frame shaved.

Not sure what position the stamp you are showing is.

Tasnaki
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
725 Posts
Posted 01/19/2021   3:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tasnaki

Quote:
Your 1L50 looks more like 4R48, see scans below. Very similar but the top right corner is shaved on yours.

Thanks for your intervention. Yes, I am sure you are correct. I still use the old Ward study and, although 4R48 is mentioned in the text, made the mistake of not reading past 1L50 before looking at the table of frame cuts which, for some reason, does not list 4R48. I have posted a correction.

Quote:
There appears to be a cut through the crown top, your 4L55 could be 3L30 as shown below.

I did consider 3L30 but that final E . The following image compares what I thought of as 4L55 (BW 91) (left) together with a copy of 3L30 (BW92) which I posted on 18 December, together with details of the Crown and the last E of PENCE. The top of the cross on the Crown on 4L55? is flatish with rounded corners. On 3L30, it is definitely concave which much sharper corners. As for the final letters of PENCE, 3L30 looks as if it was rolled in much more heavily than for 4L55?. Whether these differences lie within normal wear parameters, I do not know. But wear, in any case, would have thinned the letters rather than thickening them.

As an observation, I feel that the distorted final E is more common than either ACSC or the Ward study suggest. The middle bar is usually very short and it is relatively thick. It is, however not very noticable unless there are associated problems with backbone of the E, as can be seen on my 4L55? detail: a downward incursion of ink above the central bar and a lower incursion of red on the left side of the backbone.

Page: of 18 Previous TopicReplies: 258 / Views: 7,704Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 9.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05