Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

King George V Sideface Varieties

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 168 / Views: 4,348Next Topic
Page: of 12
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
623 Posts
Posted 10/27/2020   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And now two 2d red BW 96. The first has variety (15)f and is located on Plate 15, Right Electro, Position 19 (15R19), dent in left frame opposite lower wattles. Plate 15 was only used for BW 96 printings.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
623 Posts
Posted 10/27/2020   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The second of today's varieties on BW 96 is 96(14)g from Plate 14, Left Electro, Position White flaws in left wattles and frame above. Plate 14 was only used for BW 96 printings.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
623 Posts
Posted 10/28/2020   3:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an index of variety posts so far with a cross-reference to Topic page number. I will update this from time to time.

Edited by itma - 10/28/2020 3:02 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
623 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another 1d Green BW 82 (SG 125), this time with the ACSC variety (2)i - Damaged right frame at top. Another characteristic of this variety, not mentioned in ACSC, is that the top of the crown slopes down from right to left. It is located on Plate 2, Pane IV, Position 6. This is a late variety, first appearing in 1936 so thus only appeared on BW 82..

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
623 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On page 1 of this topic, Partime posted his BW 77(4)d - Secret Mark. Here is another copy, this time BW 71(4)d. Plate 4, Electro VI, Position 1.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
623 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another well known 1d variety is "Ferns". Here is an example on BY 72(4)ia. The variety is named after the breaking of several shading lines between the upper peak of the white lower border line and the right value tablet. Not mentioned in ACSC is a second flaw - a small scratch line that breaks a number of shading lines between the base of the right wattle's stem and the right border. This is sometimes not visible in heavy inking situations. The stamp is located on Plate 4, Electro VII, position 54.

The original variety in this position was (4)i - scratch behind the emu's head - which appeared in 1915 on BW 70. Both varieties (4)i and (4)ia were present on BW 71. The position was re-entered in 1928 to correct the flaws.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3622 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   9:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I've been falling behind. I have many, many more to add, but too little time in the day. This one is Scott 27, ACSC BW 95(U)h, known as Scratch over left wattles. There is an additional note in ACSC that states, "... are believed to be from the unplated portions of Electros 5 and 6, or the as yet undefined Electros 5A and 6A.

Issued 22 September, 1920.
Single Watermark (type 2)
Perf 14.25 x 14 comb
Possibly 454,730,040 stamps delivered into stock.

What I like about this variety, is that you can see it with the naked eye. Here is the catalog example.
Edited by Partime - 10/29/2020 10:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
623 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BW 77(3)m (SG 76a) - Dot before 1 in right value tablet.
Plate 3, Electro VI, Position 21
First seen in July 1940
Corrected by retouch February 1928 to become variety (3)ma.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
30139 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is an index of variety posts so far with a cross-reference to Topic page number. I will update this from time to time.

Splendid !
well done you.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
623 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Rod. This is a lot of fun to do, though even I get fed up with 1d greens from time to time. I do seem to be very heavy on BW 81s And 82s. The index ended up to be a necessity, as much for me as anyone else. It makes it easy to cross reference the posts - going through even 8 pages looking for a previously posted variety is a pain in the neck.

Frank.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
623 Posts
Posted 11/01/2020   1:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BW 82 (SG 125) - Short sloping white flaw in shading above L of AUSTRALIA (Variety not in ACSC)
Plate 3, Electro VI, Position 13
First seen in 1925 and exists in all subsequent Plate 3 printings. This flaw is also shown on Page 7 in BW 77 (http://goscf.com/t/74251&whichpage=7#665791). Please note that this previous stamp is BW 81ba Perf OS, not 81wd CTO Perf OS.

This stamp has a messy postmark which makes it difficult to see details. I have this added an arrow in the close up pointing to the flaw.

Edited by itma - 11/01/2020 1:48 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
623 Posts
Posted 11/01/2020   2:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BW 71(4)k (SG 21c, variety not listed) - Distorted ONE PENNY
Plate 4, Electro VIII, Position 13
This variety is present on all issues of the 1d denomination.

The close up of the variety, from top to bottom, shows my example, a normal example (in greyscale) and the ACSC illustration of the variety.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
623 Posts
Posted 11/02/2020   10:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BW 71(4)v - Run N in ONE. Also there is a cut in the lower frame close to the right corner which has caused the corner to be moved out towards the right.
Plate 4, Electro VIII, Position 60 (at bottom of the left-most column resulting in a margin line in the Crown/A watermark)
This is the first state which appeared from July 1914 to early 1917. (Plate 4 was not used for printings of BW 70, the first 1d Sideface.)

This position was retouched in early 1917 to become Variety (4)va and a make-ready correction was made sometime before July 1917. A final retouch - (4)vb - was made in March 1927 which existed for the rest of the 1d Sideface's life.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
623 Posts
Posted 11/02/2020   11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BW 82 1d Green (SG 86) - Nick in lower frame below E P of ONE PENNY. In the given example, there is also a break in the lower frame under the N of ONE. I do not know whether that is a constant for this variety.
Plate 1, Electro I, Position 16
This is a second state variety and appeared in one printing only in 1935 on BW 82 - Variety (I/16a).

The initial variety in 1928 was a thin bottom frame under NE P of ONE PENNY - (Variety (I/16)

A Final retouch in 1935 created an irregular lower frame - Variety (I/16R)

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
623 Posts
Posted 11/03/2020   2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BW 98(12)k (SG 99) Die I - Broken top of cross on crown. I am a bit unsure about this one, but the spray of colour upwards from the crown seems to be reflected in the ACSC illustration per the image following the variety close-up below. Perhaps it is an early state. (It is a shame that ACSC uses halftone for its illustrations. I can make identification more difficult.)

Plate 12, Right Pane, Position 39 (12R39)

This variety is present on BW 96, 97 and 98 after which Dies II and III were used. The initial Die I printing (BW 95) did not use Plate 12.

Edited by itma - 11/03/2020 2:21 pm
Page: of 12 Previous TopicReplies: 168 / Views: 4,348Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05