Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Confederate Postmaster Provisional Hand Stamp With US Stamp #73

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 228Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
60 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Mjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I'm not very experienced with handstamp identification but from what I've found I believe this is a confederate postmaster provisional with 2 scott 73s. I know some of the confederate hand stamps weren't for provisional usage and since this uses US stamps I'm assuming that's the case here but wanted make sure I'm not completely off. Thanks in advance for any help!

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
228 Posts
Posted 09/22/2020   09:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hobsun013 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Mjack,

According to the CSA Catalog/Handbook, The Greenville CourtHouse, SC provisionals were prepared by handstamping envelopes with "PAID" and "5" and"10" rate markings. One of three different postmarks was applied to the reverse of the envelopes as a control mark. The front of the envelope would have the rate marking and the back would have the dated control mark which would need to be prior to (or the date of) the postmark on the front.

It would be important to see the back of the envelope to help evaluate the cover and look for any additional markings. As with any potential CSA cover inspecting the inside is critical as well given the amount of re-use (turn covers). The 4 cent rate would also need to explained.

This covers needs some more research and experience to help gain the full picture which is the fun part trying to piece things together. My initial instinct is that this is not a true CSA provisional but I suspect others will provide the needed insight to confirm or disprove this.

Hobsun
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 228Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05