Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scarce Half-Cent Battleship Documentary Solo Usage

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 284Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4935 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   2:14 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It's a little worse for wear, but this is only the second solo usage of a half-cent battleship documentary I have seen in person, the first being one I posted here last year.

It is an 1899 2-day traveler's accidental death and injury policy from The Travelers Insurance Company. The full name of the railroad(s) in the cancel is Lake Superior & Mississipi and Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad. I'm assuming that rather than it being a combined single railroad, that this depot served both lines?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7007 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Supposedly the Lake Superior & Mississippi RR didn't even exist under that name at that point, so it's a real odd cancel.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4935 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   8:37 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's quite possible I have the railroad misattributed. Trying to search Google for terms with single letters, spaces, and punctuation is a challenge.
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2284 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   8:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DISCLAIMER: I know less than nothing about this stuff, but I like a Google challenge.

Could L.S.&M.S. = Lake Shore and Michigan Southern?
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   9:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ericjackson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe it is the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern and Chicago Rock Island & Pacific Railways.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4935 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   10:06 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the corrected attribution.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1592 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 284Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05