Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Custom Binders For Scott Intl Vol 1 (Big Blue)?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 549Next Topic  
Valued Member
14 Posts
Posted 09/21/2020   6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gvol21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I've been thinking about taking the plunge and moving my small, but growing collection of Scott International Vol 1 (the 'Big Blue') out of country envelopes in a shoebox and into a proper album. Didn't bother doing so before, as I didn't have enough stamps to justify it, but I think it's time.

But the binders are on backorder, and while I could turn to eBay for some used binders, that got me thinking: what are some custom binder options that folks have created for their Big Blues? I'm guessing that if/when I can get a binder to the point where it's pretty stuffed with stamps, viewing/working with the first and last sections might be less than ideal, given the thickness of the binder. Has anyone housed their BBs in smaller binders? And if so, did they go with 3-hole (easy to find) or two-post binders that align with Scott pages?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1891 Posts
Posted 09/22/2020   11:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How about Vario Grande?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1417 Posts
Posted 09/22/2020   11:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
gvol21: you didn't say where your Big Blue binders are on back order. Amos Press? Another supply house, like Subway or Potomac Supplies? These binders should be readily available if you shop around and thus, backordering shouldn't be a problem.

I don't do eBay, but have bought collections at auction in the past that were housed in Big Blue binders. My experience with used Big Blue binders hasn't been good. Too many people didn't take good care of their collections. Or stored the binders in a basement or attic with environmental concerns, like humidity. My recommendation is to pay the price and get new stuff.

My former world wide collection is now mostly gone, leaving my "areas of real interest," shall we say. All collections are housed in two post Big Blue binders. I've trimmed Scott specialty pages to fit my Big Blues, along with the regular printed pages, and use a lot of blank quadrille pages. As an aside, the International Volume I (1840-1940) lacks spaces for a lot of stamps, unless you get the Vintage Pages. Those are better.

Even the BB binders that I bought in the mid-1980s are still in good condition, but one has to care for them.

Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
Posted 09/22/2020   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add barhata to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My WW collection is housed in the Scott Universal albums. They are smaller, only 2" thick (lighter and easier to handle), but still will hold roughly 250 double-sided pages. My collection is on Minkus pages, but the binders can be adjusted hold Scott 3-ring or Scott International. My WW collection is on Minkus Supreme pages (about 1,600 double-sided pages) through 1963 and takes up 6 of the Universal binders.
Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
Posted 09/22/2020   9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are speaking of it being backordered at Amos, you might wish to call them and confirm. My experience with them is that, while their website may say that an item is backordered, it may actually be in stock. Other than the sources listed by Climber Steve, you also might want to check NOLA Stamp Shop as they are great people to deal with.
Pillar Of The Community
837 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   03:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "small" size Scott International binders don't seem small to me. Their thickness is about 3 1/2" and, filled with pages, they are pretty darn heavy. The "large" or "jumbo," as they call it, binder is enormous, much too large for one hand to pick up and very susceptible to being dropped and damaging the binder badly. What Scott/Amos should really do is make a smaller binder available. But good luck them to do that.

Subway Stamp Shop used to sell their own versions of Scott binders -- same blue (or green) covering, same page mounting system, and so on. But they were better made with cloth hinges. Scott's were typically heavy paper hinges that gradually split over the years. Subway's binders were sold in more sizes than Scott's were, and they were less expensive. But Subway no longer sells them, unfortunately. The best Subway version of their "Scott" International binder was, in my opinion, their smaller 2 1/2" binder which makes it about an entire inch less thick than the not so "small" Scott International brand binder. It held fewer pages, so you needed more binders, but the advantage was you could actually pick it up. And because it held fewer pages, it was easier to use, easier to mount stamps in due to less page curving, and just all around a better binder. I have some from years ago, and they are still nearly new and work much better than the few Scott brand International binders I have.

What alternatives there are, I really don't know. The idea of hole punching hundreds (thousands?) of album pages to put them into an ordinary-looking ring binder does not appeal to me in any way. I want my collection that I've worked on for decades to look elegant and as high quality as possible, so three-ring binders are definitely out for me. I only use very good quality stamp album binders. Even the somewhat fancy-looking Lighhouse binders are basically just tarted up 3-ring binders. They look good on the shelf, but not in use as albums, as far as I'm concerned. They are pretty popular, though, but you'll have to do a lot of hole punching. If you're a little off on some pages, they won't line up well so you'll get a messy looking album. Maybe best to have a print shop do all the hole-punching at once for each set of album pages so they all line up neatly. I'm not a fan of 3-ring stamp albums which look too discount for what I want.

So I'm no help. But I sympathize with the need to find good, smaller, more usable stamp album binders you can actually pick up with one hand. Used Scott International binders on eBay can sometimes be found in very good condition, so don't ignore that option, either -- if you like fairly large albums.
Edited by DrewM - 09/23/2020 03:35 am
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   11:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add percyjgp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use the Scott Specialty binders and lighthouse binders. I really like the Scott binders as they are well made, and they make a smaller one. The lighthouse binders are good, but it can be a pain to find one that fits the right size pages so you have to look at the binder dimensions carefully. I don't mind the 3-ring binders as I also use sheet protectors for all my stamps. This removes me having to hole punch anything, but also required me to trim all my pages using a paper cutter. If you like the International I would either see what the wait time is for them or see if you can find any used.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5110 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   11:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As far as I recall, the Lighthouse binder that will take Scott pages is the Grande. The Vario won't ("Vario" is not a generic term - it's a particular size of Lighthouse stock-page/binding).
Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add barhata to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DrewM...The binder that I was referring to is here:

https://www.amosadvantage.com/produ...Green-Binder

It is much more light weight. The specs say it holds 150 pages, but I have found it to hold 250 very comfortably.

It will accommodate 2-post Scott or 2-post Minkus, as well as 3-ring.
Edited by barhata - 09/23/2020 7:26 pm
Pillar Of The Community
837 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   10:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Barhata, yes, I know the Scott Universal binder well. I used to have one, but as a binder clearly created to suit many different types of pages and therefore a compromise in various ways, it just did not appeal to me. The flat spine didn't look very elegant to me. The mechanism inside with the many holes in it so you can attach many different widths of posts to fit all sorts of pages just looks messy to me. And so on. But these are personal issues others might not have -- just like I hate large, heavy binders. Some people may love an enormous, heavy binder! And apparently some do, since I buy collections in these giant whales from time to time. I've never bought a collection mounted in a Scott Universal binder, though, and so I suspect its kind of a niche product for Scott for the relatively few collectors who don't quite find the Scott Specialty binders, two-post or three-ring, appealing.

Not sure if the Universal binder would fit pages for the International binder, but if it does, it's worth trying out. I still think Scott/Amos, or somebody else, should make Scott or Scott-like binders in smaller sizes. --widths of 2" or 2 1/2". That's my preferred album size. They're much easier to handle and better looking.

As for the Scott three-ring Specialty binders, the larger one seems enormous to me, both in its width from front to back (so wide it hangs off my bookshelf by two or three inches -- not a good look) and in its large ring size. It just looks like an invoice binder for a warehouse, not an elegant stamp album. The smaller three-ring binder is very different. It does fit comfortably on a shelf. It's more manageable to handle because it's narrower. And because it's smaller, it's better looking overall. In fact I use a few of the smaller Scott three-ring binders very happily.

So, yes, consider the Scott Universal binder, the one with the odd flat spine, and the smaller three-ring Specialty binder, for sure. But this thread is about Scott International pages, and I'm not sure if those pages will fit well in either of them. But it's certainly worth finding out.
Edited by DrewM - 09/23/2020 11:03 pm
Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   09:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add barhata to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes... The Scott Universal binder does fit the Scott International 2-post pages, that's why I suggested it. No hole punching is required.
Valued Member
14 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gvol21 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, all - very helpful insights here. Totally agree that the Scott International binders are too wide, so will definitely check out the Universals (I wasn't aware of those before). Good to know that the International 2-post pages will fit in the Universal binder, too!
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 549Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05