Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Anyone Help With This Stamp?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 728Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
18 Posts
Posted 09/22/2020   12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add fylbrig413 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
I believe this is a Scott#126. I'm having a hard time valuing it. It is postmarked and on an envelope sent to Canada. Any thoughts? Than you.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3002 Posts
Posted 09/22/2020   12:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is Scott 115
It would be helpful to see an in-focus scan of the entire stamp, not cut off a right.
It would be helpful to see an image of entire cover including the reverse side if there are markings there.
Evaluating stamps and postal history involves seeing the whole as well as the parts.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
426 Posts
Posted 09/22/2020   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott #126 is the 1875 Reprint of #115 from 1869. The big difference between the two is that the original is grilled, while the reprint is not. The original was printed for public use, while the Reprint was, generally, not used on the mail. Of course, some were used to mail letters, so the hard-and-fast rule doesn't apply 100%.

I would recommend looking for a grill. If it is not apparent by simply looking at the front of the stamp, perhaps try shining a light from the side (extreme glancing angle) - you are looking for a 'waffle iron' pattern in the paper of the stamp. It is much easier to see on the reverse, but I don't think it's worth the effort (or risk!) of removing the stamp from the cover. Even on the reverse, a grill can be hard to see. Even if you cannot see a grill, I would give it a 99++% chance of being the original (grilled) stamp. It is worth more remaining on the cover - there is 'context' if it is on cover - postmarks, origin, destination, etc. So, like John Becker says, it would be nice to see the whole cover, front and back.

It is hard to tell from the fuzzy photo, but it appears that this example is decent. But then, faults would tend to be small, and hard to see in a fuzzy photo.
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   05:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dates for reprints would help me, if it is modern I missed that.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2707 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   12:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Dates for reprints would help me, if it is modern I missed that.

Louise411, My 2009 Scott Specialized catalog doesn't give an Earliest Known Use date for the re-issue of the 6 cent stamp #126. Most of the other stamps of this series were, it appears, re-issued in 1880.

The original 6 cent #115 was issued in 1869.
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   07:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fylbrig413 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if this is a better photo or not. Otherwise I could email some photos but this site doesn't allow newer members that access. The image optimizer on this site isn't very good for optimizing or I'm not not very good manipulating it. Sorry. And thanks everyone for their help.
1 Posts
Posted 10/16/2020   03:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spasenimadj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would recommend looking for a grill. If it is not apparent by simply looking at the front of the stamp, perhaps try shining a light from the side (extreme glancing angle) - you are looking for a 'waffle iron' pattern in the paper of the stamp. It is much easier to see on the reverse, but I don't think it's worth the effort (or risk!) of removing the stamp from the cover. Even on the reverse, a grill can be hard to see. *** Edited by Staff - Please Review the rules that you agreed to when you registered. ***
Edited by spasenimadj - 10/16/2020 03:21 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
61 Posts
Posted 10/16/2020   04:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to have a grill in the 2nd photo, making it a scott #115. Catalog about $210. eBay typically $15-50 off cover in grade/condition like this appears.
4 Posts
Posted 10/16/2020   7:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add caspian65 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lay a piece of tin foil over the stamp and rub on it. If there's a grill, it will show up on the foil. Sometimes good enough to count the points/size.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 728Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05