Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Moving Stamp Smarter Website

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,091Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
8452 Posts
Posted 09/22/2020   9:32 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 51studebaker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
<vent> I have had enough of the service that has been hosting Stamp Smarter. (Used them for 7-8 years but they got sold about 2 years ago.) Their server performance went into the dumpster about 3 weeks ago and they have been pushing back on me since then. I even went to the trouble of establishing a new dedicated Windows Server machine to prove to them that the issue was not the code but rather their crappy server. No luck, their support people follow their flow charts where the first 4 steps are 'it is the customer's fault' and 'sell the customer some support time even if it is our fault'. Grrrr. </vent>

So what this means is that I am moving Stamp Smarter to a new hosting service. It is a huge and complex site, well over 80GB in size and plenty of technical dependencies like from SQL, PHP, and ASP. Scope of work for me is about 40-50 hours.

I have turned off the ability to enter new data in any of the community projects. Freezing these databases allows me to move them without trying to keep things in sync in real-time. But while project members cannot enter new data, everyone else will continue to access the databases.

The rest of site will also remain up while I make this move behind the scenes. Once I have the new site established and fully functional, I'll cut over the domain name. This means other than not being able to entering new data the move should be transparent to everyone.
Don
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 09/22/2020   9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bluejay2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your intense dedication to philately. StampSmarter is a great resource.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by bluejay2 - 09/22/2020 9:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
503 Posts
Posted 09/22/2020   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the note, even though most of us will not see anything different. It is still good customer service. Good luck on all of the work. I hope it goes well.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3611 Posts
Posted 09/22/2020   9:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good idea and thanks for your wonderful efforts in keeping this hobby interesting and informative.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
378 Posts
Posted 09/22/2020   10:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

Great news. I hope it goes smoothly for you and the headaches are small.
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2284 Posts
Posted 09/22/2020   10:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

I assume you've already identified a new host, but it not, let me know. I've been very happy with mine.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Valued Member
United States
32 Posts
Posted 09/22/2020   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Paul Mitchell to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck with your move!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1602 Posts
Posted 09/22/2020   10:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Best of luck Don and thanks for your endless contributions to our hobby.
Valued Member
United States
406 Posts
Posted 09/22/2020   11:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I just want to say what everyone is saying: Thank you, Don, for your dedication to this hobby that we all enjoy so much! Good luck with the move. I hope it is as easy as you hope it will be.
Valued Member
452 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   01:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will also echo the sentiments expressed. I never realized just how in-depth your site was until you posted the index a few weeks back. It's a literally digital library and most threads on this site looking for info end up with a link to your site somewhere in the post. Amazing work. Truly.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4906 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   07:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You are a good man Don. Many thanks for all of the love you show your fellow philatelists (and others).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
703 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   07:40 am  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don - Thank you for the "heads-up" on your process to move your fantastic site. Amazing dedication and work, and superb "customer service", which, unfortunately, is rare.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
941 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don's post made me stop and think how important and useful his site is to me as a collector and to philately in general.
I tend to think of websites as natural resources; that they will be here forever. I forget that it not only takes hard work and dedication but also money to maintain them.
I just donated to the Stampsmarter website to show my appreciation.
Thanks, Don, for all your work!
Dan

Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2198 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   10:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don - Thanks a lot for all of your efforts with stampsmarter and this site. You are very much appreciated.
Valued Member
21 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   11:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr. H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1873 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am sorry they are putting you thru this hassle.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,091Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05