Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

3758 1c Tiffany Lamp Glows Under Lwuv?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 303Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
668 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   06:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add oldtriguy1960 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
All,

It seems I have a couple 3758 (year 2003 date) that reacts under Long Wave Ultra Violet light.
I first noticed the border was a different color under LWUV, but then noticed the colors of the lampshade are also much brighter under LWUV.

I am comparing PNCs:
2 pairs and a single have dark border under LWUV.
3 singles have the brighter border and lampshade colors under LWUV.

I'll have to pull out my non-PNC ones and check them.

Any inputs from others?
Mr. Stocky? I didn't see this variety on the Stampsmarter Tagging database.

David N.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6986 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   08:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is probably not tagging that you experience, but High Brite paper

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
668 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldtriguy1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input Peter...

I'm thinking it could be fluorescent ink?

I'll have to check the back sides of the stamps and check if indeed I see a difference in the paper brightness.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6986 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   09:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not fluorescent in my thinking - the border would not be brighter

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
668 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   10:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldtriguy1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Forgot to ask...

Can someone check it a current - 2018-2020 Scott USA Specialized catalog has any notes about this.

My Scott Specialized is from 2011 and doesn't say anything about it.

Thanks again.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6986 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   10:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott does not list paper varieties ?

Peter
Valued Member
28 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr. H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just checked my 2020 catalog, there are no notes as to any varieties.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
668 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   11:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldtriguy1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Mr. H!
Valued Member
United States
147 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   11:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will try and do some checking tomorrow.
Valued Member
United States
147 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like you found a new luminescent ink variety if it matches the LW UV image below. The colors at he top of the stamps look off because the shiny surface of the stamps causes a lot of glare. I was not aware of it. In this case the yellow ink is causing the effect. Nice find!

As an FYI, I started at the 5 cent issues and I have been working my way through every issue and have gotten up through 1998 looking for luminescent ink varieties. Hadn't gotten to 2003 yet. Right now the list of regular US issues starting with Scott 1036 that have luminescent & non-luminescent varieties stands at over 100. I will publish once I get through the stock I have.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 303Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05