Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Clarification On Halfpenny.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 323Next Topic  
Valued Member

Italy
35 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   04:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add josef61 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, the anomalous cut on this stamp because on both sides in a semicircular way? Has anyone cut it like this? Sorry for grammar errors, I use a translator. Thanks.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5107 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   06:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Probably destroyed when being cut from an envelope with scissors. Or possibly a sheet was cut with scissors in an office before use.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
466 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Or possibly a sheet was cut with scissors in an office before use.

Or it could be a coil stamp that was miscut by a dispenser or vending machine. George V's coils have perforations all around; they're distinguished from sheet stamps by watermark.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6986 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One would think that a vending machine uses a straight blade ?

Peter
Valued Member
Italy
35 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add josef61 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your answers. The question that it was cut with scissors in my opinion seems to exclude, it would make no sense to cut it that way. I have never seen a stamp cut that way, I hope to be proved wrong, but it seems machine error.

Learn More...
8490 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   3:43 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An undiscovered error for decades makes more sense to you than the simplest explanation that it was cut with scissors? Always start with the assumption that you have the most common stamps and do not undiscovered stamps. (You have multiple threads where you assume that you have errors and rare stamps, none of which have been.)
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2998 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   4:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the direction codehappy is going. Your stamp is watermarked sideways - an indication of a coil.

It is easier to use an arced or diagonal cut in an affixer or vending machine to cut across the coil web rather than chopping through the entire web at once. Thus also the consistency of the arc on both sides. This particular blade was likely arced (think like a sharpened spoon) to slit first from the center then both upward and downward simultaneously to complete the full separation.

This item has every characteristic of a machine-affixed coil stamp, slightly out of adjustment by the end-user. I see no error.
Edited by John Becker - 09/24/2020 4:03 pm
Valued Member
Italy
35 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add josef61 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I joined the forum because, being inexperienced in the subject, I was looking for answers on stamps that, not having so much knowledge and little study material, seemed to me stamps with defects. someone in the forum these questions annoy.I thought of leaving the forum thanking you for your courtesy.Un warm greeting.

Valued Member
Italy
35 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add josef61 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Forgot to say that I don't try to enrich myself with stamps and I've never talked about rare stamps, but only to have clarifications.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 323Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 4.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05