Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Purchased Collection That Used Tape

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 826Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2854 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   06:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add angore to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I purchased a collection recently off eBay that was advertised as mostly hinged mint. When I started on the first stamps, I noticed that the stamps easily peeled off page because they were mostly mounted with some type cellophane like tape. I was ready at the that moment to return it but I did try other stamps. I was expecting the worst.

So far, I only seen one where I could feel residue left and no visible damage to stamp (many had been hinged already). The ones that were hinged using a typical stamp hinge, it was not peelable. To mount mini-sheets, the prior owner took a glassine cut it in half to hold each side of sheet and then used the same tape to hold glassine down to page.

I am not sure how old the collection was but did not see any aging aspects or know what type of tape were used.

Send note to Staff
Al

Valued Member
23 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr. H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They may have used the Scotch 811 Magic tape. It is easily removable and leaves no residue. Several exchange clubs I have been associated to recommend this for their submissions.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4177 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another experiment.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4661 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From my 35-40 years experience repairing pages and paper, self-adhesive tape always ages because in its manufactured state, it is unstable. Sometimes it liquifies and bleeds into the paper, and sometimes it just solidifies and welds onto the paper with its substrate.

My point is, no one knows the long term effects of this "magic" tape. If it were me,I would remove the stuff a.s.a.p.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 09/25/2020 11:07 am
Valued Member
23 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   11:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr. H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I personally wouldn't use it to permanently mount stamps. As mentioned by bookbndrbob, the long term effects are an unknown, but I have recently come across some 'long lost' exchange submissions from back in the early 2000s where the tape was used and at this point there has been no ill effect on the stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2402 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   1:03 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
People use post-it notes (although I am unsure if it is actually post-it notes or some competitor) that they puts on stamps and booklets to ID them and I have found that sometimes it leaves no residue that I can feel (which doesn't meant there isn't a little) and other times it definitely leaves a residue. And this is for something that is supposed to be "removable". I think the longer it is left on the more likely it is to leave residue.
Edited by eyeonwall - 09/25/2020 1:03 pm
Learn More...
8490 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   1:28 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

From the University of California, San Diego, library

Quote:
The verdict is in on Post-it Notes and similar adhesive markers! Though they are easy to use and may be removed from most paper surfaces, DON'T be tempted to use them in books. These seemingly harmless "markers" leave behind their adhesive, even when removed immediately. The adhesive hardens and leaves a film that becomes acidic. This results in eventual discoloration and brittleness of the paper. They were designed for short-term application to expendable documents and have no place being used on permanent records and books.

The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) conducted research which determined that even when removed immediately, the adhesive residue remained. Even more dramatic effects result when used on newsprint (some of the ink is removed) or on brittle, fragile paper where removal may result in tearing the page. The NARA report concluded that these notes will cause increasing preservation problems when used with permanent records and should be avoided.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6986 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Don. I read that somewhere earlier but could not find it back

Peter
Learn More...
8490 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   1:48 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the direct link for hobbyists who care about being good stewards of the material they hold.
https://www.archives.gov/preservation

Don
Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
time and pressure will weld post it note pads together rendering them inseparable. imo no use for long term or permanent records is safe.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1883 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   7:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll stick with my Dennison's

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2854 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   07:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not use or would recommend any tape applied to gum side but also do not use hinges since disturbing the back is disturbing the back even if previously hinged. Many consider the care needed to be less if low value or previously hinged.

Many techniques are more like choosing your poison - some more accepted by collectors than others. The irony is that stamps now are mostly self-adhesive.

The stamps now have a new home without the tape.
Al
Valued Member
United Kingdom
319 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've had the same experience with this special kind of sellotape, whatever it was.

It was a great relief to find it came off without damaging the stamps, as normal sellotape is real killer. Luckily sellotape usually leaves tell-tale signs that you can spot before you buy an album that has used it.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
466 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sure the Post-it note adhesive on Scotch 811 tape is not inert and, in the long term, potentially harmful to stamps -- but I'm skeptical that it's somehow worse than the adhesive on good old-fashioned stamp hinges. Both leave residue, both effectively alter the back of the stamp. The moisture used on stamp hinges immediately disturbs and chemically alters the gum; the Post-it note residue might do that in fifty years or so. If you want to absolutely preserve the condition of your stamps, you use neither.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2214 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have fairly often used wide post-it notes to stick to the back of the Mylar cover holder - on the outside - with notes about a particular cover. No harm there, on the surface, however, a mildly disturbing story follows.

When I sold my collection, I gave all my albums and covers in Mylar holders away for consignment. That included any post-it notes on the back outside of the Mylar.

Years later, I bought back one of those covers, and, while the Mylar was no longer there, someone had taken my Post-it note, and affixed it directly to the back of the cover itself. I was rather horrified. Now that post-it is back in its normal spot on the outside of the Mylar I have it in, but it makes me think that if I ever part with material again, I will first remove the post-it notes.

I have been debating going to a different filing system anyway, possibly using index cards, or actually mounting all of my stuff and writing it up.
Learn More...
8490 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   2:28 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the classic car world, there are 'shade tree mechanics', creative folks who work on cars in their back yard, home garages, and barns. Imaginative implementations often with little or no empirical research, data, or testing behind them. I have seen cars which at first looked incredible only to be horrified when you start closely looking at the engineering (or I should say lack of engineering). It is not uncommon to find hacked up frames that remove the structural integrity of the entire car. Or replaced higher horsepower engines sitting over the top of front ends which were never designed to hold that much weight. I never understood why folks figured they knew more than the engineers who ran the numbers, did the discovery, did the testing. Yet they press forward and have little concern about putting their family into these cars. But many of these cars are unsafe and put anyone riding in them (or around them) at risk. Think about this next time you pull along side of a 'restored' car or rod on the interstate.

Luckily for us, stamps and covers do not carry the same public risks. I support people experimenting with things like modern adhesives, even if they have no idea if they outgas or have other long term risks. But I think they should document what they are doing and keep a very close eye on their material. Additionally I think that when they post about their experiences they should mention that it is experimental. We need to push the envelope but hopefully without permanently impacting our material. We need to expand our understanding, but only while also documenting our experiments.

Our hobby is full of lessons; Crystal mounts, scotch tape, magic photo pages, FDC and other cover stuffers, bad quality paper, etc. The easy way to learn is from these mistakes, the hard way is from your own mistakes.
Don
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 826Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.18 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05