Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another Butchered Imperf Fetching Too Much Money

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 1,059Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6081 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stallzer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Lot 78 in the Golden Oak auction ending next week (I think) while browsing the lots ran into this disgrace. Sadly it has been bid up to $225 with over a week to go.

https://stampauctionnetwork.com/GO/go304.cfm#10

I paid less than that in another auction for this;

I should butcher one of the 2 center stamps and make a gem. Then buy 2 more imprint blocks.......
Send note to Staff
Edited by stallzer - 09/25/2020 4:16 pm

Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
there are always those who do not know what to do with there money, just as there are poor stewards who will help them part with it. the grading craze brought this on, greed keeps it alive.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
626 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps someone should put out a album that has these imperfs as blocks of 9. That way they can put the stamps in their albums without having to destroy 8 stamps to make it fit the page.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6986 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   4:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Alub, now there's an idea!

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2214 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Given the 300-400$ estimate, I'm guessing $225 is the opening bid, and it probably doesn't yet have a bid posted.
Valued Member
23 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr. H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Let's look at it from more optimistic point of view. Maybe the rest of the block was damaged and this was the best that could be salvaged from it or that the person who created it was able to use the balance at postage. I wouldn't hold my breath that this was the case, but I'd hate to think otherwise.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6081 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Even sillier is 2 lots down (Lot 80) is an imprint plate block of 6, intact might I add with an opening of $25.00 less. The logic here is mind blowing.
Valued Member
United States
237 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   5:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dry Tech to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps someone could coin a word describing these butchered imperf multiplies.

My somewhat clumsy submission: Butcherosities. I hope someone else can do better.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4926 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have no problem with grading in general but items like the one shown are always a joke and a bad one at that. I have said many times that the grading agencies do themselves no PR favors by doing these types of things.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1400 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   7:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Coined term: it is a multiple stamputee.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6081 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's what I call the manufacturing of a "gem". If you manufactured a perforated stamp into a gem it would be called re-perforated and detract from the value. But altering an imperforate stamp adds value...wait....what?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4926 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How was the stamp "altered"? By cutting a block? Blocks are broken all of the time. Not understanding that logic.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6986 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Eight stamps were destroyed to make one supposedly "Nice" one. That is a shame,

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1883 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   7:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't make sense to wreck eight stamps for no reason.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6081 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Al-ter - Verb

change or cause to change in character.

If it really needs to be understood here ya go. Definition of alter is above. Like a perforated stamps, imperfs have a separation point or row, whatever you want to call it. They were designed to be cut in the areas provided to separate the stamps. Chopping the stamps in half is changing the character of the affected stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4926 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well than I guess that any stamp, perforated or not, that is cut into or otherwise touched is altered. Good to know. That must include hinging by your definition since you have altered the gum.

Cheers
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 1,059Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05