Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another Butchered Imperf Fetching Too Much Money

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 1,070Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add percyjgp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen it on perforated stamps too. I would never pay for it or do it myself. The grading companies if they had ethics would not permit it either. I would think that they could grade a block without needing to butcher the other stamps even if one was damaged. They could grade a single out and then grade the block separately.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by percyjgp - 09/25/2020 8:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7016 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since half the US expertising companies are profit making enterprises, they will never do so. And so the other half have to go along to keep their share of the market.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2409 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   8:59 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Even sillier is 2 lots down (Lot 80) is an imprint plate block of 6, intact might I add with an opening of $25.00 less. The logic here is mind blowing."

$25 stamp surgeon amputation fee
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2409 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   9:07 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps the cert should say "Block of 9, grade 1"
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6087 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree. 1 stamp grade 100, 8 stamps grade -10 = negative 80 points.

20 overall grade
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1007 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Overall grade 20." Funny, but essentially true!

But it is a shame good material is being wasted and destroyed. It reminds me of stuff like printers waste.
Edited by No1philatelist - 09/25/2020 10:16 pm
Valued Member
460 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   12:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder but I actually think it looks ugly and, value or grading aside, but purely for aesthetic purposes, I would not want that in my album. I'll take the imprint block any day, or one "normal" looking imperf single. Just my 2c.
Valued Member
United States
237 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   02:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dry Tech to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would not want that in my album.

I can't even imagine it.
Valued Member
United States
429 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   03:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I looked through the Golden Oak auction a day or two ago and noticed the same thing. I have learned to expect this type of material from certain auction houses. I don't think it is coincidence. On the flip side, I have noticed many 2/3 stamps being sold by Downeast Stamps - a #9 with the left 1/3 missing, the next lot being a #9 with the right side 1/3 missing. 'Tall' stamps. Both lots cancelled in the same city. Well, duh!!! It is only a little more effort to go to Kelleher/Siegel/whatever and find the super-jumbo graded (98-100J, of course) middle stamp of the ex-strip-of-three. I have seen this with probably each of the 1851 values - maybe not the 5c.

I have been in the hobby for 45-50 years. I NEVER saw this in my early stamp life. No grading companies = no butchering to make imperf 'jumbos'.

And, yes, it is completely ludicrous when a 100J imperf exceeds the value of a block of 6 (with margin) or 9. The problem is that there is a market for these 'stamputees' (thanks for the new term!). If the market didn't make the butchering of 8 stamps to get one 'gem' economically feasible, it would happen much less. The problem is that some people have more dollars than sense (cents), and don't realize that paying 10x CV for a 100J imperf is stupid when they could go out and get the block of 9 for less. Buy a block of 9 with faults on any stamp(s) but the center stamp, and you pay MUCH less. It is too bad the grading companies won't grade the center stamp only in a block of 6 or 9.
Learn More...
8500 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   05:11 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

If this stamp were offered for sale at a reasonable price, with no grading certificate, would no one be interested in?

I understand that many people do not want to support the 'grading incentive' and its associated 'Frankenstamp' making but underlying this practice is the demand for well centered stamps.

So even if the grading organizations were to stop issuing graded stamps would not the demand for well centered stamps continue to drive the making of 'Frankenstamps'? (With the proliferation of hundreds of thousands of 'hobbyists turned dealers' it seems to me that there would not be a shortage of those who would be willing cut up multiples.)

The formalization of this practice is the organizations that issue grades but perhaps the real culprit is staring at us in the mirror. (That the majority of us desire well centered stamps.)
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4934 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   06:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Even more confounding is that their are twenty one mint (zero used copies) 100J's in the PSE Population Report for this common stamp. Do all twenty one have adjacent stamps showing? I do not know but given the supply AND the ability to readily produce your own jumbo it is puzzling why anybody would buy this particular monster.

Note: As of now there are no bids. It stands at its opening price.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
549 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   06:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have been in the hobby for 45-50 years. I NEVER saw this in my early stamp life. No grading companies = no butchering to make imperf 'jumbos'.

I recall seeing a set of Natural Parks Imperfs cut-up in that manner in the mid-80s. That was long before grading.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7016 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   07:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They existed long before the 80's, although there were far less of them. I can recall occasionally seeing that kind of jumbo at the Armory ASDA shows as a boy.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4934 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   07:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It seems to be a very American thing to fixate on size.
Pillar Of The Community
837 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   01:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This seems to be mainly a discussion of why someone cutting up an imperf block into one remaining stamp with parts of the other stamps attached is a truly terrible thing. Okay.

I think it's silly, and you think it's silly - because it ruins the other stamps. But beyond that, so what? I ruin sheets of stamps all the time by removing stamps from the sheet. To mail a letter. Have I done something bad by doing that? Someone had an imperf block and decided to cut off most of the adjoining stamps to create this fairly weird-looking stamp with parts of the other stamps still attached. I have no idea why, and it doesn't appeal to me, but it also doesn't rise to any serious level of shock or outrage, as far as I'm concerned. There it is. Bid on it or don't bid on it. I mean, really, who cares?

It was once the practice to cut stamps in half diagonally to pay lower postage costs. Do we throw those out, too?

Perfins have a substantial part of each stamp removed to punch out the initials. Throw those away.

Grills on 19th century stamps significantly damaged those stamps. Worthless.

Lots of 19th century imperfs (and maybe some modern ones, too) got a ham-handed treated by some postal clerk who cut a stamp out of the sheet and clipped off part of a neighboring stamp in the process. Throw those away.

Some of the rarest stamps in the world get sold from time to time at auction, and what does the wealthy new owner do to them? He stamps or handwrites his initials on the back of the stamp. That outrages me a lot more than trimming a block of stamps down.

I'm not bothered by some guy trying to create a strange-looking stamp with parts of neighboring stamps attached. The idea that the block has been "butchered" is emotionally over the top. That it's "fetching too much money" is no one's business but the buyer. It's only too much money if you don't want it -- or if you want it, but can't afford it.
Edited by DrewM - 09/27/2020 02:00 am
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 1,070Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05