Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another Butchered Imperf Fetching Too Much Money

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 1,073Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
76 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   02:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OzwaldO to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd be tempted to trim the other stamp bits away for my tastes!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
323 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   10:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Luckily the grading madness only goes on in North America.

If anyone tries to get the rest of the world into this fad, this is the best example of why we shouldn't follow suit.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7016 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   11:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm waiting for the graded U.N. craze to hit.
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   11:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add percyjgp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I came across this on eBay one day. Not sure what the purpose of this was.

It is still up for auction.
Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   12:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I must admit that I am not as upset about this behavior wrt 20th century imperfs than I am with the 1847 or 1851 issues. A lot of that has to do with supply/rarity of large multiples of the issues. There have been other threads talking about this issue and showing pictures of the 19th century examples. There are many, many sheets of most of the 20th century imperfs still in existence, not to mention large blocks, so 'destroying' a few is a shame, but not disastrous. BUT... it is a slippery slope. Eventually, the great number of sheets/large blocks will dwindle over time. Who will be the person to cut up the last known block of 9 (or larger) of one of the 1847 or 1851 values? If that cutter is known, he will be shamed in the world of philately for decades. This action sounds crazy to me, but I cannot rule out its possibility.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3011 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   12:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Threads like this always seem to preach to the choir and get no defenders. Out of curiosity ...
Can anyone point to ANY certifying body which declines to accept these for certs?
Can anyone point to ANY auction house which declines to accept these as consignments?
Can anyone point to ANY organization within the hobby (APS, ASDA, Linn's, etc.) which takes a stand of this practice?
I know of none.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7016 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   1:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Of course not, they are all making money on them. Or preserving their market share. Or both.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7016 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   1:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two possible purposes:
At least some of the 2 cent stamps were damaged.
At least some of the 2 cent stamps were hinged and the error is not.
Since 499 is a common number, someone felt it would be worth more this way.
Pillar Of The Community
4939 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   1:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They might be creating them.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 1,073Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.15 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05