Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do I Certify Stamps Won At Auction

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 342Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
20 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   7:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stamperJD to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am a general worldwide collector, and not an expert at anything. However, I still like to have complete sets and a nice looking collection, which means occasionally I may have to spend a little bit of money by buying stamps at a traditional auction house.

Reading some of the other posts on this forum leads me to believe that it is not unusual to get something other than what the auctioneer is claiming. I want to be sure that what I am buying is genuine.

I read the terms and conditions for Kelleher and it says you must send back the stamp within 4 weeks for a refund. I am not sure how feasible it is to get a cert issued within 4 weeks, even if I submit it overnight to an expertizing body.

How do people manage to get their purchases certified in 4 weeks?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4926 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   8:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Place the lot on Extension.

7(c) Quality. Any lot which a purchaser considers to be incorrectly described may be returned to Kelleher within two weeks of its receipt by such purchaser ("Returning Purchaser"), provided, however, that the same is received by Kelleher within four weeks of the date of the auction; however, Kelleher may, in its discretion, refuse acceptance of such returned lot. If an opinion of a mutually acceptable authority is desired, the period of time within which a lot must be received by Kelleher will be extended in accordance with Condition of Sale 8. In the event that a dispute cannot be resolved by reference to a mutually acceptable authority, and Kelleher thereupon undertakes to re-offer the lot with a description identical to the description disputed, the Returning Purchaser shall be liable for the deficiency, if any, between the proceeds of the sale to the Returning Purchaser and the proceeds of a sale to a subsequent purchaser, as well as for all costs and expenses of the resale, including commission, and all incidental damages. Any lot, the description of which is disputed, must be returned intact and in the original packaging and in the condition received (unaltered) by the purchaser. The following lots are not returnable except at the discretion of Kelleher: (i) lots from purchasers who attended the exhibition of the lots; (ii) lots examined by postal viewers; (iii) lots on account of their appearance, if they are illustrated in this online catalogue; or (iv) lots described as having repairs, defects or faults for any reason. (v) lots containing more than ten (10) items.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
20 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperJD to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! I don't know why I somehow didn't read the sentence you highlighted.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1414 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   10:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It also may help to notify the auction house that you will want an independent certification if you are successful in obtaining the lot. I'm aware of one mail-order-only auction house that asks for this on the bid sheet.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 342Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.42 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05