Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Did Canada Bk13 Sell For?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 391Next Topic  
Valued Member

5 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   9:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add sasker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
All of the booklets up to BK13 seem to have sold for 25 cents. The stamps in BK13 add up to 72 cents. Did this booklet sell for 75 cents (3 quarters)? Did the machines that dispensed them have to be adjusted for this issue or were they sold only over the counter ?
Booklets continued at 25 cents after that with the exception of BK39 ($1.00) until the Centennial Issue when larger format booklets were issued. Any help would be appreciated.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
132 Posts
Posted 09/29/2020   1:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j2186 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

You didn't get a reply to your question. I did look in numerous catalogues, but didn't find an answer.

The information should be in the Canada Postal Guide from this time period (1929). As far as I know, this is not online and you would have find it in a (philatelic) library.

My 1947 copy does confirm that some of the later booklets did indeed sell for 25 cents. Note that they are called stamp books (not booklets) in the Postal Guide.

Jan
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
354 Posts
Posted 10/01/2020   2:36 pm  Show Profile Check gportch's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gportch to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
According to Boggs "The Postage Stamps and Postal History of Canada" the combination booklet was sold at post offices for 73 cents.

GJP
Valued Member
United Kingdom
421 Posts
Posted 10/01/2020   3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That sounds reasonable the KG6 booklets with 24 cents worth of stamps in them sold for 25 cents
Valued Member
Canada
73 Posts
Posted 10/01/2020   4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
According to the Standard Catalogue of Canadian Booklet Stamps by Bill McCann, BK13 was issued on 6 Jan. 1929 with a face value and cost of 72 cents. So it appears that between Boggs and McCann we have a 1 cent discrepancy.
Valued Member
5 Posts
Posted 10/01/2020   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sasker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments. So I assume this booklet was not sold in the machines that dispensed booklets. I remember there was one of these machines on the street corner near my house in the early 1960s. It was a convenient way to buy stamps if you had a quarter.
Valued Member
66 Posts
Posted 10/01/2020   6:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add UnitradeEditor to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Glenn Hansen's The Guidebook & Catalogue of Canadian Stamps 2nd Edition says the following:

"With a face value of 72c the booklet sold for 73c at the Post Office and through rural mail carriers. It was basically intended for use in the more rural and isolated parts of the country."
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 391Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05