Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

3c Sq - Vertical Vs Horizontal Paper - Oddness

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 170Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
151 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   09:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Lars714 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all

one of the things that I really enjoy about 3c studies is that I seem to always learn something new.

This 3c (I believe is a 41) perf 12 x 12.25

The curious thing is while ascertaining the weave I will check using a backlight for the 'dashes', then verify with a quick breath test. An interesting result is shown below that if I breathed on the front, it curled horizontal, breath on the back resulted in vertical.

Lesson learned for me, don't just rely on a quick breath test. Any thoughts?

Chris

seems horizontal

seems vertical

paper too smooth to assess weave

backlighting seems to confirm vertical dashes
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
662 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjung to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am working with the 5c Registered Letter stamps right now. They were printed at the same time period as the 3c Small Queen, 1875-93. These stamps were printed on Vertical and Horizontal weave paper. It is difficult to see the weave sometimes. But you can moisten the stamp to see the weave more clearly. The choices are to use simply water or watermark fluid. You can try this and see if this works for you.

You can also just drop the stamp onto the surface of water and it should curl quite a bit, in the direction of the weave.

But it actually seems as if you can just use your method of breathing on the stamps to determine whether it's a vertical or horizontal weave. Cool !
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by jimjung - 09/26/2020 10:48 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 170Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05