Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Need Info On A 1920 2 Cent Panama Stamp Without Canal Zone Overprint

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 257Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
Posted 09/28/2020   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bshowman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have an envelope addressed to Scott Stamp and Coin Company and it has an orange and black 1920 2 cent Panama stamp without the Canal Zone overprint on it and the cancellation was from New Orleans, LA. Does anyone have information about Panama stamps without the Canal Zone overprint. I tried to research this and havent found anything.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff
Edited by Bshowman - 09/28/2020 3:39 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6969 Posts
Posted 09/28/2020   4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome. You should post a picture of the cover and stamp so we do not have to guess at what we are talking about

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
United States
2 Posts
Posted 09/28/2020   6:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bshowman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4164 Posts
Posted 09/28/2020   9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Look under Panama not the Canal Zone. Scott #187 or #198 depending on perfs.
Edited by redwoodrandy - 09/28/2020 9:03 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1603 Posts
Posted 09/28/2020   9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's curious, to me at least, that the cover was postmarked in New Orleans.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6969 Posts
Posted 09/28/2020   9:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is just a guess, but I believe that someone mailed a letter from Panama ( not the Canal Zone ) using a regular Panamanian stamp. It looks like the letter was sent to the US by boat and reached New Orleans where a post office clerk cancelled the letter and sent it on its way

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2986 Posts
Posted 09/28/2020   9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The cover is faintly marked "Paquebot" to the left of "New York City"

Add: The stamp looks like Panama #198, with the orange sulfurized to a brown shade.
Edited by John Becker - 09/28/2020 9:41 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7007 Posts
Posted 09/28/2020   9:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Alas, whatever building Scott was in in 1923 is long gone now.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1603 Posts
Posted 09/28/2020   10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I completely missed that, thanks John.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 257Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05