Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Started My Russia Collection Today

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 597Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
4943 Posts
Posted 09/29/2020   2:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rogdcam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The stamps of Russia have intrigued me since I was a child and after much deliberation I started my collection today by purchasing some 1940's and 50's sets at auction. Very exciting! Will share pics as stamps are received.

I will no doubt be reaching out to fellow collectors of Russia in the coming months for help and advice and will be deeply appreciative of any assistance that can be provided.

Peace
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1163 Posts
Posted 09/29/2020   3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The interesting stuff is pre-1945 in my opinion. Later issues, particularly after the fall of the USSR, is often very pretty but little better than wallpaper. These can be had relatively cheaply as year sets, but beware: they will fill your shelves up very quickly. Good luck and have fun. Looking forward to seeing updates from time as and when.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5113 Posts
Posted 09/29/2020   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"We will bury you".
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2742 Posts
Posted 09/29/2020   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Catalog with the Russian sauce:( CCCP at the right)
http://skandinav.eu/index.htm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4184 Posts
Posted 09/29/2020   5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was wondering who is V. Zagorsky?

https://zagorsky-stamps.com/index.p...rmation_id=4
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1622 Posts
Posted 09/29/2020   6:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rog what range of years do you have in mind for the Russia collection?
Pillar Of The Community
4943 Posts
Posted 09/29/2020   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shermae - I am thinking that I will stop at 1955. I will probably use a Palo album and that is a volume cut-off point which coincides well with the issues that I really like. Will likely start at the very beginning but I really love the stamps from the 30's, 40's and early 50's. I cannot explain it but they speak to me. The designs and subject matter really evoke a place in time. Machinery, architecture, civil works, scientists portraits, sports, aviation/military and so on. I really love these stamps.
Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
Posted 09/29/2020   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam - there is a lot there! I find that the Russian stamps speak to me, too, in a similar way. I just have too many other projects to get wrapped up in this area. One of these days, though, I may dip my toe in this very large pond. The idea of cutting off at a certain point certainly makes the task seem more manageable. I would pick the late '50's or early '60's as my cutoff, but if the Palo 'break' is 1955, that sounds like a perfect break-point. Let us know how it goes.
Valued Member
United States
241 Posts
Posted 09/30/2020   6:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Russia stamps end in 1917 and then continue again in 1991. Between 1917 and 1922 is gets a little fuzzy and likely philatelically interesting. From 1922 to 1991 it is Soviet Union. If I were to collect Russia I would end in 1922.

Scott just lists everything chronologically but Michel distinguishes between Russia and Soviet Union.
Valued Member
Israel
487 Posts
Posted 10/09/2020   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Will you include satellite groups like Finland stamps based on the Russian, White army, right army and so?
If you venture to WWII you'll have the USSR controlled zone in Germany, also a satellite topic.
Pillar Of The Community
4943 Posts
Posted 10/09/2020   10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rob - I intend to do so. At first I hope to be very focused on one or two basic periods and areas and move on when those are complete or reasonably so. I have a history of "shotgun" collecting and want to change that.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1417 Posts
Posted 10/10/2020   2:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Roger: have you checked out the Rossica Society for Russian Philately (rossica.org)?

Like you and others, I have an interest in Russian philately. I kept my Russian material, including some Tannu Tuva, when I downsized the world wide collection couple years ago. Steve
Pillar Of The Community
4943 Posts
Posted 10/10/2020   4:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks Steve. I was not aware of Rossica and after taking a look I will join this week. Quite awesome!
Pillar Of The Community
4943 Posts
Posted 10/14/2020   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I was going to go with a Palo hingeless but ended up with Scott. I will mount the stamps myself and enjoy doings so and I still have a soft spot for Scott. I have a large number of sets on the way and will post as I go.
Pillar Of The Community
4943 Posts
Posted 10/22/2020   07:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well I started my new Russia Album, 1918-1958, this week and am thus far pleased with my album/mount choices with one or two exceptions. Taking others opinions and input I opted to go with Hawid clear mounts and I am very happy that I did. The quality is high and they are my first top load mounts. Sooooo much easier and less stressful placing stamps in these. Should have done it long ago for my US collection. Same with the color choice. I was forever a black mount guy but I have to say that the clear mounts look nice to my eye AND they are forgiving when it comes to alignment issues. As far as the Scott album goes well it is a Scott album. I wanted the Scott numbers. The layout and paper and binder are so familiar and old school to me in a good way. One of my complaints is that some of the listed souvenir sheets have spaces and others do not and there really seems to be little logic to it. The other goes for sets that were issued both perf and imperf but only have spaces for one type.

Anyway, I will be sharing pics of some pages soon for anyone interested.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 597Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05