Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Started My Russia Collection Today

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,199Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5265 Posts
Posted 11/14/2020   04:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a personal view, but I don't share the desire to have a common binder or page design across my collection. Yes, I want my French stamps in the same type of binder, but does that mean I have to have my Begian stamps in those too? After all, I'm not a wealthy Victorian aristocrat with a library of expensive, uniformly bound volumes. And those shelves full of identical binders look rather dull too. Spread out, embrace variety!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
467 Posts
Posted 11/14/2020   05:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DavidR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with you GeoffHa! I got back into stamps by buying one blue stockbook for my old childhood collection, and since then the collection has grown into many different binders and stockbooks. I keep my main collections (GB, Germany) in matching binders but everything else just goes into the next available stockbook as that sub-collection expands.
Bit of a mixture on the shelves now!
Regards
DavidR
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5265 Posts
Posted 11/14/2020   07:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
David - yes, I like the cloth-bound Gibbons springbacks from the '60s, when the quality was higher. Also Errington and Martin and others. Filled with relatively cheap quadrille. I also have old Godden peg binders, which take Devon leaves or similar.
Valued Member
United States
32 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   3:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add boydxbiggs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My Russia collection runs from the beginning through 1985 -- may extend the range to the fall of the USSR. I currently have it in two Scott Intl binders, and it includes Armenia, Azerbaijan, Far Eastern Republic, Georgia, Siberia, Tanna Touva, Transcaucasian Republic and Ukraine.

I started off with Scott pages but have been replacing them decade by decade with pages from Stamp Album Pages (Richard Sampson) in Maryland -- nice paper stock, nicely arranged with 1-line descriptions of each issue, one side only and holes already punched. At 25 cents per page for Scott International size, I think it's a great deal.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5318 Posts
Posted 12/21/2020   11:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am getting my new scanner set up and wanted to post a test scan of a page from my budding Russia collection:

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5265 Posts
Posted 12/22/2020   03:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That page rather epitomises the problems around older page designs by album manufacturers. The stamps crammed into two rows at the bottom of the page, rather than the half-dozen they should occupy, take the eye in their messiness and detract from the attractiveness of the actual stamp content. Has Scott redesigned these pages since the Stalin years?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5318 Posts
Posted 12/22/2020   07:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Truth be told I am already thinking of creating my own album pages and remounting. I cannot pin down dates of Scott printings but collections that I have looked at from decades ago are laid out the exact same. Funny thing is that you can go to another page and the exact opposite of clutter is true. A few stamps are given much breathing room which brings me to my next wish. Many of these stamps have rich subject matter and historical associations which cry out for a bit of narrative, some description, some "color". A work in progress this is. Pretty pleased with the scan though. Epson V39 at 96 DPI.
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2399 Posts
Posted 12/22/2020   07:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you go away from the Scott pages, how wedded are you to Scott? Michel has specialized catalogs for both Russia and the Soviet Union, though neither is terribly new (2012 and 2017, respectively). As to the level of detail, I can't say, but it looks like the Russia catalog is 358 pages long, and the Soviet one is 992 pages.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Edited by PostmasterGS - 12/22/2020 07:36 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5318 Posts
Posted 12/22/2020   07:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not very, Postmaster. I actually ordered the 2020/21 Michel Russia/Soviet catalog and am waiting on it to arrive from Germany. They combined the two in this edition and ended up with around 800 pages.
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2399 Posts
Posted 12/22/2020   07:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that one's the standard Michel, not the specialized. You can tell because it's got the volume number E16, indicating it's volume 16 of their Europe set. No idea how different they are as I've never seen one in person. They still show the specialized catalogs for sale on their website, but they're probably cheaper (~€100 for the pair) on eBay.

For reference, here's the table of contents of the standard Michel:

And of the specialized:
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Edited by PostmasterGS - 12/22/2020 07:58 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5265 Posts
Posted 12/22/2020   07:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I got fed up with the Gibbons printed Commonwealth pages for GVi and QEII, partly because of lay-out. I've transferred the bulk of the material (such as it is) to quadrille, which enables me to make my own mistakes, ratehr than mutter about Gibbons's.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5318 Posts
Posted 12/22/2020   08:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postmaster - Thank you for pointing that out. Sometimes these publishers make purchasing catalogs like buying a vehicle. You want the glass roof? That requires the 301A package which also includes the smokers package and massaging seats and......

Just publish a comprehensive catalog for God's sake.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1463 Posts
Posted 12/22/2020   10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Roger: the scanned page is very nice and you are off to a good start. If you're not too far along, you might consider using blank, quadrille, pages, which will allow you the option of avoiding "the "cramming in" that Geoff noted.

I've used blank International quadrille pages for all my early Portuguese colony sets. Using blanks allows for putting in complete sets. In your situation, the Scott specialty pages should cover about everything EXCEPT varieties. The classic Portuguese colonies are full of shades, perfs, and you would want also to allow for interesting cancellations. I think you'll find the same situation with your early Russian stuff; at least I've noticed that with my retained Russian material. Sorry that I can't show you as my Russian material is in dire need of re-organization. Steve
Edited by Climber Steve - 12/22/2020 10:14 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5318 Posts
Posted 12/22/2020   10:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Steve. I have started incorporating blank quadrille pages as I add postal history items and minor Scott numbers and like them a great deal. Another thing that I am finding with Scott pages is that a number of sets are broken up in placement because the individual stamps within the sets were issued over a number of years and Scott places them on different pages, sometimes many years apart. I would be happier with those sets displayed together. On the other hand there is a lack of conformity because other sets in the standard Scott album pages ignore the year of issue for individual stamps and DO place them all together as a set.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,199Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05