Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US C34 1946 10c Pan-American Bldg - Help Identify Re-Entry

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 884Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
428 Posts
Posted 09/29/2020   2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add souldjer777 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good Afternoon Stamp Community,

If you have a moment, please help me identify the "re-entry" on this US C34 1946 10c Pan-American Bldg stamp. It helped me at least - to look at the stamp from further away - I just can't tell what exactly is there.

Thanks

FRONT

BACK
Send note to Staff
Whatever you see is for sale, just email me an honest offer

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3065 Posts
Posted 09/29/2020   3:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
French's "Encyclopedia of Plate Varieties on U.S. Bureau-Printed Postage Stamps" does not list any double transfers, if that is what you are asking about. It would be helpful to detail exactly what you are seeing and where on this stamp.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7037 Posts
Posted 09/29/2020   3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you talking about the set-off on the back of the stamp? That is not a re-entry, please go to the "glossary" on this page to find the definition of re-entry'
By the way, "set-off" is caused by a still wet sheet of stamps being covered by another sheet

Peter
Valued Member
428 Posts
Posted 09/29/2020   4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add souldjer777 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Petert4522 - You are very perceptive. Please look at the front of the stamp and let me know your thoughts there as well.
Edited by souldjer777 - 09/29/2020 5:01 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5002 Posts
Posted 09/29/2020   5:18 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see inking anomalies and/or schmutz. Nothing I would classify as a re-entry.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7129 Posts
Posted 09/29/2020   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a dirty stamp.
Valued Member
428 Posts
Posted 09/29/2020   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add souldjer777 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, if you're willing to give it a try - give it a long look and see if you can make the extra ink line up with the design. I believe it's a re-entry, just not sure exactly how it lines up with the original stamps design. I'm sure someone here will see how they align.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7037 Posts
Posted 09/29/2020   5:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Souldier, please indicate where you see this re-entry?

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1902 Posts
Posted 09/29/2020   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see it either
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2242 Posts
Posted 09/29/2020   7:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I assume you mean the background, like beneath AIR.

Looks like a candle, etc

I don't have a handy photo of another such stamp nearby to compare at the moment.
Valued Member
428 Posts
Posted 09/30/2020   08:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add souldjer777 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a picture of a regular stamp US C34.

Here is my image from above...

Now it's not uncommon for these stamps to have streaks or light ink smearing. This one has both a re-entry and smearing which combined would make it appear "dirty" as "revcollector" mentioned.
Edited by souldjer777 - 09/30/2020 08:26 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2242 Posts
Posted 09/30/2020   08:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seems like stray ink, like setoff, but on the front, and I'm not sure from what.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7129 Posts
Posted 09/30/2020   08:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This stamp does not have a re-entry. It has some stray stuff, either extraneous ink spots or dirt. To me it looks like dirt.
Valued Member
428 Posts
Posted 09/30/2020   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add souldjer777 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After careful examination or more like 'exhausting' examination. I'm 85% sure the "candle" is the first tree to the left of the building.

The reason I believe that is because the other stray ink markings above the center of the building all line up with the 3 large doors under the "PAN AMERICAN UNION".

I'm going to take a break from this for now as I've burned myself out. Highlighting layers ink in layers and rotating on such a large image is time consuming and yes - very much so - exhausting.

After trial and error, it turns out you should use as little of a highlight as possible for the initial overlay if you wish to determine the orientation.

Edited by souldjer777 - 09/30/2020 12:32 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2371 Posts
Posted 09/30/2020   2:22 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't exhaust yourself any further. Find another identical stamp and then show us how right you were/are. FWIW, I don't think it is any kind of double transfer or re-entry.
Valued Member
United States
463 Posts
Posted 09/30/2020   3:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
to me it looks like it might be traces of a light cancel.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 884Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05