Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Defaced And Graffiti Stamp Art From The Subversive Post Office

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 763Next Topic
Page: of 2

Spain
1 Posts
Posted 09/30/2020   08:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jess to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi y'all,

I thought peeps would be interested to learn about a British artist named Richard Hoffman who defaces and graffiti genuine stamps.

He can be found under The Subversive Post Office online, so thought I would share some of his work.

Jess

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
4943 Posts
Posted 09/30/2020   09:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like something bored children would do.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6986 Posts
Posted 09/30/2020   09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It does not impress me either

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2742 Posts
Posted 09/30/2020   10:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ugliness is the sign of the times......
Valued Member
Ireland
241 Posts
Posted 09/30/2020   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some really nice examples. But not really a new idea. I have some defaced stamps. I am sure many others have.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
423 Posts
Posted 09/30/2020   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Our postmen have been doing this for ages although perhaps more crudely
Valued Member
United States
361 Posts
Posted 09/30/2020   1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EdziuMM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Aw, c'mon!!! We shouldn't discourage imagination!
Valued Member
United States
439 Posts
Posted 09/30/2020   3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
art is in the eye of the beholder.......not evey one likes all of it, but it is still art.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7016 Posts
Posted 09/30/2020   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm waiting for all those people who think it boring or juvenile to create something more artistic using stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1417 Posts
Posted 09/30/2020   4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's fun and cool! I suspect that persons not liking this guy's work probably also didn't like the Postal Service stamps for Harry Potter and the Simpsons either.
Valued Member
United States
237 Posts
Posted 09/30/2020   5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dry Tech to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It looks like something bored children would do.

My first impression too.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7016 Posts
Posted 09/30/2020   6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bored children produce Jackson Pollack lookalikes. This takes a certain amount of skill.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2222 Posts
Posted 09/30/2020   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Skill of course does not imply success. If only...

I hope they didn't paint over any good varieties on those stamps. Not that it would matter too much on those, as they appear common.

I can't say that I'm impressed with this, or Pollack. I prefer Impressionists, or earlier.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7016 Posts
Posted 09/30/2020   6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"I prefer Impressionists, or earlier". So do I, but a few of these are cute.
Pillar Of The Community
4943 Posts
Posted 09/30/2020   7:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Black Fire 1 by Barnett Newman $84.2 million
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7016 Posts
Posted 09/30/2020   9:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another "art" scam. Some people with a lot of money will spend it on anything.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 763Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05