Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

This Stamp Makes No Sense - Why Forge A Stamp That Does Not Exist

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 463Next Topic  
United States
1 Posts
Posted 10/02/2020   1:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Sailfish to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
When I first saw this stamp (a Persian from the 1886 series that was prepared for official use and then used for regular postage) I thought it was a forgery. But then I got thinking, why would anyone forge a stamp with the wrong value on it. It seems a little like forging a $30 bill. Unless I am wrong, I thought the 8 cent surcharge was for the 50 cent stamp, but here it appears on a 5 cent stamp. What am I missing.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France
1338 Posts
Posted 10/02/2020   2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe there are two stamps : one with 8 cent over 5 cent (Michel # 59) and one with 8 cent over 50 cent

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by vayolene - 10/02/2020 2:44 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5195 Posts
Posted 10/02/2020   2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On your broader question, from memory, if you look at early Cuban issues, you'll find creations by forgers of stamps that weren't issued - a bit of tantalising garnish for the collector.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2789 Posts
Posted 10/02/2020   4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There exists a genuine error surcharge with a 3 on the 5s;Inverted(instead of 6).Others are bogus errors I think.I have one bellow with an 18!
http://goscf.com/t/13608

Edited by perf12 - 10/02/2020 4:30 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
466 Posts
Posted 10/02/2020   6:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Back in the day, it was quite difficult to confirm that new stamps were actually authorized by the postal authorities, especially for places like Persia. If you look at old editions of Scott catalogs (say from the 1930s or before) you'll find hundreds of emissions now recognized as bogus or fantasies listed as genuine postal issues, with Persia alone having dozens. (The many breaks in number sequences in Scott's current listings for classic Iran is largely because of those bogus issues being removed over the years.) The old Brown Internationals, and the early Scott Specialty albums, even include spaces for them.

As for why somebody would do it: simply, profit. They made them to sell them to collectors or dealers as 'discoveries'. They might aim low and sell their creations in bulk to packet makers or small dealers, or they might aim high and target wealthy collectors. Count Ferrary, one of the most famous collectors of the early 20th century, was well-known for buying anything that looked like a stamp that he didn't have, even if it was completely unknown previously, and he paid good money for anything new. Some of those purchases turned out to be real (and often rare) stamps, but most of them were fantasies or forgeries of one kind or another. It could be quite profitable to produce and sell bogus stamps.
Forum Dad
USA
1578 Posts
Posted 10/02/2020   9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is very common with coins.....

For example, 1797-CC Trade dollar, never existed.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5004 Posts
Posted 10/03/2020   09:49 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Persiphila lists an 8sh on 5sh OFFICIEL overprint, #70A, but does not price it. It lists 6 types for the handstamp as well as mentioning numerous fakes, but beyond the scope of the catalogue. Mine isn't the most current version, so that issue may be covered more extensively in a newer edition.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 463Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 3.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05