Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Stamps That Remind You Of When You First Started Collecting

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,079Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1697 Posts
Posted 10/03/2020   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add shermae to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
When I first started to collect at around age 8 or 9, I was initially attracted to stamps from the British Commonwealth. My parents had provided a Traveler's Stamp Album kit, which included several packets of assorted off-paper WW stamps.

My Mom pointed out that several of her regular magazines had ads for stamps (Women's Day and Family Circle). So to grow and explore I sent away frequently for free stamps with approvals. By far, my favorite was Kenmore Stamp Company (still operating!). They offered deals both like those in my mom's magazines and on the matchbook below:

You couldn't beat this with a stick! In each approval selection was a packet of another 100 stamps from the Colonies for $1 that were all different from the selection given away for 25 cents. I was hooked, and to this very day Commonwealth remains a strong collecting area for me (mainly KGVI and QE2 to about 1970 or so.

Below are images scavanged from various sources that represent stamps often found in Kenmore's selections. They not only remind me of the beginnings of my adventures into philately, but likewise of my elementary-school-aged life in the late 1960's/early 1970's.

What stamps remind you of when you first started collecting stamps, or remind you of your childhood?

Send note to Staff
Edited by shermae - 10/03/2020 4:34 pm

Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 10/03/2020   6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bluejay2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 1950's and 1960's Statue of Liberty stamps remind me of when I started collecting. Specifically, these trigger a memory of looking through a person's box of stamps. It was my first discovery that there could be variances of a single design.

I am not sure of my age at the time, perhaps eight years old.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
466 Posts
Posted 10/03/2020   8:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My early stamp memory is of the Champions of Liberty Series, and the 8c Magsaysay issue in particular:

My grandfather collected stamps, and died when I was 3 years old. One of his stamp friends, a grandmotherly-type, had me and my mother over when I was 7 or 8 and gave me a Magsaysay plate block of 4, and explained when and why it was issued, and explained what a plate block was, etc. It got me interested in stamps, and plate blocks specifically. I told my parents about my interest and they went and got my grandfather's collection from my grandmother (no one else in the family had shown any interest) and gave it to me. I have been collecting for the 50 years since. I worked for a few auction houses for a number of years in the 1980's, worked on my own for a few years, and have made plenty of friends along the way.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1697 Posts
Posted 10/03/2020   9:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some additional stamps from the beginning:

Valued Member
United Kingdom
343 Posts
Posted 10/04/2020   06:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I lived in the states as a kid and me and my brothers all collected stamps.

Our main source of stamps was those terrible Harris bags!

Just a mixture of common junk basic rate definitives, of which this Spanish value was the most memorable -- we called it the "2 Espana"

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4987 Posts
Posted 10/04/2020   10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steevh ----Don't laugh ,I still got my Orange Bag ,it was loaded with the green 80 cents Franco stamp , think they are still in the bag .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7046 Posts
Posted 10/04/2020   10:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For those of us that did not spend our youth in the USA, what is the "Orange Bag"?

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1902 Posts
Posted 10/04/2020   1:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of my childhood memories was buying the $5- Hamilton from the post office for $5-. The post office is gone but I still have the stamp.

Jack Kelley
Edited by jkelley01938 - 10/04/2020 1:02 pm
Valued Member
United States
466 Posts
Posted 10/04/2020   1:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jack, I must be a few years younger. I remember watching the SCV of the $5 Hamilton going up, up, up, year after year starting in the late 1960's. As soon as I had saved up enough money from my 25c weekly allowance and lawn mowing $$$, I went down to the PO and bought a single and plate block of the $5 Moore, hoping it would do the same thing as the Hamilton issue. Fast-forward 50 years and you can still get the Moore stamp for under face. Haha!!!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5053 Posts
Posted 10/04/2020   1:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yup. The Franco stamps and lots of Turkey for some reason.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1697 Posts
Posted 10/04/2020   3:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I started branching out beyond British Commonwealth that Franco set was one of the first I added to my collection.
Valued Member
250 Posts
Posted 10/05/2020   09:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I got a Whitman Voyageur album for Christmas around 1970. Knowing absolutely nothing about stamp collecting, I grabbed the stamp below from my mom's desk, licked it, and stuck it in the album. My cousin, who was a collector, told me about hinges a little later ...

Not long thereafter, I signed up for the Garcelon Stamp Approvals. They would sell lots of short sets of things. I remember the following stamp as typical of those I would buy doing that period ...

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1375 Posts
Posted 10/05/2020   10:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I first became interested in stamps by looking through my father's old Imperial Album. I was captivated by the pictorials showing what seemed to me to be very exotic scenes. I especially remember being impressed by these French colonial issues depicting a leopard (I think)

Learn More...
United States
4709 Posts
Posted 10/05/2020   10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This one -- first mint stamp I purchased as a kid.
Still in my album.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
133 Posts
Posted 10/05/2020   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RK1468 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a nine year old, I was interested in space, dinosaurs, and stamps that seemed exotic to my preadolescent eyes. I was also amazed when I received mail from one of the comic book approval dealers who used a "valuable" 1075 Statue of Liberty souvenir sheet for postage.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
989 Posts
Posted 10/06/2020   04:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the stamp that started it all for me.

I no longer have my original one. When I started collecting, I trimmed off the perfs to make the stamps look nicer. Fortunately, my uncle taught me the error of my ways soon thereafter, and I eventually threw away all those that I had trimmed.

Other U.S. stamps from the early '70s, such as the 6 and 8 cent Eisenhower definitives and the 7 cent Franklin definitive, also remind me of my early days of collecting. Here's one that my seven-year-old self particularly liked:
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,079Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05