Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question For Snowbirds And Collectors Living In Multiple Locations: How Do You Do It?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 802Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
949 Posts
Posted 10/04/2020   12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add danstamps54 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I work on stamps, postmarks or my meter collection almost every day. I find that I'm going to be living apart from my collection for three to five months a year.
Do you take part of your collection, a project, go "cold turkey" or what??

Thanks for your input.
Dan
Send note to Staff
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1902 Posts
Posted 10/04/2020   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unhappily, that's one of the problems I don't have to deal with.

Jack Kelley
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
469 Posts
Posted 10/05/2020   09:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The first question is - will you be going to the same place every year or different locations from year to year? Second question - are you driving, flying or taking a train. If you are returning every year to a place that you own and do not rent out when you are not there, you can leave some basic information such as books or catalogues there as well as support equipment such as magnifying glasses, etc. If not then you will need to take everything with you. If you are not driving to your winter location, then most likely you are out of luck.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
949 Posts
Posted 10/05/2020   10:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wtcrowe,

Good followup questions. Thanks! It is a small condo I will own that I will drive to and won't be rented out when I'm not there.
Transporting support equipment won't be a problem. My question is more about what part or parts of a collection do others take or do they start a new project that can kept in the other location? I know carrying a collection around can't be good for the stamps so I want to keep that at a minimum.
Until Sue passed away three years ago, I was a snowbird and had to go "cold turkey." I thought I would give this a shot so I could spend more time with my son, grandson and my new great-granddaughter. and still do things with my hobby etc. while I'm visiting.
I agree with Ben Franklin that after three days guests are like fish, they begin to stink.

Dan

Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
APS Member #223433
Edited by danstamps54 - 10/05/2020 10:15 am
Learn More...
8636 Posts
Posted 10/05/2020   10:47 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Franklin must have read the 1579 book 'Euphues the Anatomy of Wit' by John Lyly, he was the person who made the fish/visitor/stink saying famous.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
949 Posts
Posted 10/05/2020   11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

The quote is frequently attributed to Franklin's Poor Richard's Almanack but it wouldn't surprise me if he lifted the quote.
He was pretty well read.

Dan
APS Member #223433
Learn More...
8636 Posts
Posted 10/05/2020   11:37 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed, many of the sayings in Poor Richard's Almanack had their origins in older writings. Franklin often took older sayings and simply reworded them (and got the attribution/credit). For example Franklin rewrote the 1678 proverb "God restoreth health, and the physician hath the thanks" and changed it to "God heals, and the doctor takes the fee."
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
949 Posts
Posted 10/05/2020   11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

It was a lot more difficult to fact check quotes in the 18th century. Most households that read Poor Richard's Almanack never heard of those works.

Dan
APS Member #223433
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
602 Posts
Posted 10/05/2020   1:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not in that situation, but if so, I would have a separate collecting focus for the second location. Otherwise, could be frustrating to only have some of the material (e.g. reference works) if working on the same project in both locations. As in oops, I left "Briggs Inter-postwar Postmarks of Upper Silesia" at the other house!
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 10/05/2020   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add electroprecancels to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I am a snowbird, too, and this is my solution.
I have Scott catalogs at each end. I have been taking two volumes of my Minkus Supreme Global with me each year, first in the car and now on a plane. I have made a list of what I need two volumes at a time. This list will be completed this winter.

I also collect precancels and one paper list and a computer list take care of them.

The lists allow me to range through any dealers stock during the winter with a mounting push each summer when I get home. It is nice to have the whole collection together for part of the year.

Bill

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5053 Posts
Posted 10/05/2020   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First World problems.....
Pillar Of The Community
843 Posts
Posted 10/05/2020   8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As you know, FDR collected stamps and he traveled a lot to wartime conferences and other places. I remember reading somewhere that his way of relaxing was to take part of his collection with him to work on in the evenings. So all you need is a few large boxes to hold what you need, a retinue of people who can bring them along, and perhaps a private airplane or ship to carry them. See? Easy.

Realistically, I suppose you could ship a box a week ahead of time so it arrives about the same time you arrive. Insured, of course. Once upon a time, people shipped entire heavy trunks filled with their things to summer camp, college, or tourist destinations. Unless you're driving, you could squeeze maybe one album into your luggage, of course. Have an old set of catalogues, tongs, and so on, in each place to keep things as simple as possible. Just be glad you don't collect coins. Or old farm implements.

Edited by DrewM - 10/05/2020 8:33 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5053 Posts
Posted 10/05/2020   8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Or hubcaps
Valued Member
United Kingdom
429 Posts
Posted 10/06/2020   05:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DrewM

You forgot to add a few armed security guards to keep it all safe

AQ
Pillar Of The Community
560 Posts
Posted 10/06/2020   08:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ThomasGalloway to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
re OP's stated issue: I have the same problem plus the desire to keep my laptop synced to my desktop. Actually two desktops.

The solution is to sync your stamp collecting files (and others if desired) to your other machines via the cloud.

I use Google Drive, Dropbox, and AWS (Amerzon Web Services). Microsoft has a service, as do numerous others.

( Amazon misspelled on purpose to prevent forum "help").
Edited by ThomasGalloway - 10/06/2020 08:46 am
Learn More...
8636 Posts
Posted 10/06/2020   09:08 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thomas,
The forum 'help' (affiliate program) is how our community pays for itself; without the affiliate programs it is unlikely we would have this community.
Don
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 802Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05