Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New 2020 Divali Stamp

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 615Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
123 Posts
Posted 10/05/2020   1:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add pwscg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This issue was scheduled to be issued on October 15 but I received it today as part of my standing order.

Anybody know whether the issue date was changed?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1068 Posts
Posted 10/05/2020   9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well if I were you I would stick a few on covers, and send a few out in the mail, to yourself also and get the receiver to hold it for you. Get them hand cancelled at the post office as it will end up being used before the first date of issue. Much more collectable as that will not be the normal used cover.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
123 Posts
Posted 10/07/2020   1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pwscg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Finally got to a post office today.
They had no circular postmarks but I guess the important thing is the date showing clearly.

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1297 Posts
Posted 10/07/2020   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter, did it go through the mail system? (I did something similar on the HooDoo recalled stamp and proof it went through the mail was the phosphorescent bars of the sorting machine from the processing facility. Without these, some may consider them philatelic cover, of lower value that real processed mail).
If you want one really through the mail, I can provide my address.....LOL
Valued Member
Canada
123 Posts
Posted 10/07/2020   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pwscg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gilles,

No I did not. So, I will have to I guess. Should have thought of that back at the post office lol.
Thanks for the offer but I will do it from here.

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1305 Posts
Posted 10/07/2020   5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe that it was Robin Harris who has commented that it is possible to have a friendly post office contact back date the cancellation on self-created covers suggesting that they may not be considered true collectibles.

As a result, I suggest having the postmaster certify in writing with his or her signature and date under the cancellation that the correct date stamp was used on the cover.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1068 Posts
Posted 10/07/2020   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BJ, if the cover goes through the system, the sorting machine codebars are proof it went through the mail, just as Gilles mentions. And that is why I originally suggested he mail them. Proof of actually going through the system.
Edited by No1philatelist - 10/07/2020 9:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
778 Posts
Posted 10/08/2020   12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BlackJag's comment about the friendly (pliable) post office contact should dampen any enthusiasm for pre-dated FDC's.
I had a friend who collected FDC's in the days when you had to be there ready with an envelope. He found a small post office where the postmistress let him dial up any date he wanted for any issue he may have missed.
Back on 2005-01-20 I posted a picture of an FDC from the World Junior Hockey Championships.

In an amazing feat of time-travel, the creator was able to watch the final game on TV, prepare, order and receive a picture postage stamp with the game's results, and take it back in time to the post office for cancellation before the game had even transpired!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1068 Posts
Posted 10/08/2020   10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sak, I agree that that cover and those stamps were not possible on that date. I am not a fan of that either.

But the fact that if hand cancelled/tied to cover by postmaster/postmistress and sent through the mail and receiving an automated barcode on the bottom reverse would be pretty reliable proof that they were posted and used earlier than the release date. Also he should have an invoice showing the earlier purchase date. As well it is now publically discussed, recorded, and should live on as proof on the www and a hard drive or cloud service somewhere in this world of ours.

I have seen the 1898 map stamp used on cover with an earlier date and good money was paid for it. How did anyone know if an earlier collector did not get an early dated favor cancel? And it had no proof, other than a handstamp!

If you collect ERD's of issues it will be of interest to someone.
Valued Member
Canada
123 Posts
Posted 10/13/2020   1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pwscg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So, I put the postmarked envelopes in the mail last Thursday and received all today with the phosphorescent bars on the backs.

Peter
Canada
3 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   11:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add trajanreporter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Peter,

My name is Jesse Robitaille, and I'm a reporter with Canadian Stamp News. Would I be able to use the image of your early use cover to accompany a story on the new Diwali stamp?

Please let me know ASAP as we go to print this Thursday, Oct. 22. My email is reporter@trajan.ca if you'd like to chat more!

Thanks in advance, and nice cover!
Valued Member
Canada
123 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pwscg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jesse

Sure no problem!

Peter
Canada
3 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add trajanreporter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you kindly, Peter!
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 615Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05