Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

#8tcii Block Of Four With Pre-Printing Crease And Major Re-Entry.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 706Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
695 Posts
Posted 10/06/2020   2:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add watermark to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The attached scan of a block of four black proofs with red specimen over print is from positions 29, 30, 41 and 42. The pre-printing crease is in the bottom two proofs. The bottom right proof is the major re-entry position 42. This has to be fairly unique as the bottom right proof is an unusual pre-printing crease plus a major
re-entry.

Send note to Staff
Edited by watermark - 10/06/2020 4:13 pm

Pillar Of The Community
7529 Posts
Posted 10/06/2020   3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
watermark
Very unique and interesting out come of a pre fold before printing.
I see at the bottom border which would be considered a retouch if the pre fold did not exist...

Question...Could the bottom re-entry be the result of the bottom fold and maybe not a true re-entry..???

Just a thought.

Robert
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
695 Posts
Posted 10/06/2020   3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add watermark to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Robert, You will find this on Ralph Trimble's re-entries.com. It is also mentioned in Unitrade Catalogue. Here is a used copy I have:

Pillar Of The Community
7529 Posts
Posted 10/06/2020   4:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry watermark
I was looking so intensely at the fold portion of the Scott 8 because of the fold over I posted yesterday, that I did not even look at what you were saying...Me bad

Very nice re-entry you have indeed.

Robert
Valued Member
422 Posts
Posted 10/06/2020   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely unusual piece.

I assume is India paper on card stock?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
695 Posts
Posted 10/06/2020   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add watermark to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Glenn, The proof is on india paper but somewhere along the way the cardstock has been removed. I don't think that affects the beauty of this unusual and probably unique piece.

Mike
Edited by watermark - 10/07/2020 07:50 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1318 Posts
Posted 10/07/2020   11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wert - where is the re-entry on the LR image.

Watermark - where is the re-entry.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
695 Posts
Posted 10/07/2020   12:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add watermark to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The image of the re-entry below is cropped from my proof sheet of 100. The same re-entry as the one above. I have circled some of the most obvious marks. There is also doubling downward of the inner frame line in the top corners. Hope this helps you see the detail. It does not show quite as well on the actual stamps.

Mike
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1318 Posts
Posted 10/08/2020   9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Mike for the much more detailed image.

Looks like ink splatter. Paul
Pillar Of The Community
United States
695 Posts
Posted 10/14/2020   07:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add watermark to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another black plate proof block showing positions 41, 42, 53, and 54. There are no preprinting creases so the re-entry at position 42 is intact. If you are sharp eyed you will see a dot on the Queen's forehead on position 41 that is also a constant flaw.

Here is a used pair of positions 41 and 42 showing the flaws are on actual stamps.

This is a closeup with the forehead dot circled.

Mike
Edited by watermark - 10/14/2020 07:47 am
Pillar Of The Community
7529 Posts
Posted 10/14/2020   08:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mike...Is that spot on position 41...???

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
695 Posts
Posted 10/14/2020   10:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add watermark to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes the forehead dot is on position 41 as stated above. It can be seen easily on the black proofs of that position.

Mike
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
667 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjung to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a proof I have of the position 42 Major Reentry and the same reentry on a stamp. It's pretty hard to see on the stamp.

This was the first reentry I ever found on a stamp and this is the stamp I found it on. Ralph identified it for me based on the mark above the A in CANADA and I was thrilled to finally find one. This was back in the 1990's.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
695 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add watermark to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim, Nice copy. A number of the varieties on this issue show better on the proofs. I believe the coarser paper of the stamp and the very light color used for printing contribute to this happening. Usually if you see a flaw it can be plated of course there are a few that are flaws that developed during use at the printers. I have a few copies that clearly show flaws that are not present on the proof sheets.

Mike

Edited by watermark - 10/17/2020 2:49 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 706Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05