Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The William H. Gross Collection: United States 1847 First Issue - October 27-29, 2020

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 772Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5034 Posts
Posted 10/06/2020   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rogdcam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is turning into quite a year to acquire great stamps if you happen to have a few million in the sock drawer.

Seriously though, this auction is amazing to browse through. Wow.

https://stampauctionnetwork.com/Y/Y1228.cfm

Note: I just realized that every lot has a reserve on it. This was not the case in the previous Gross sales to the best of my knowledge.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff
Edited by rogdcam - 10/06/2020 9:06 pm

Valued Member
United States
460 Posts
Posted 10/06/2020   9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just saw this hit the Siegel website. This sale absolutely blows my mind. I am currently sitting at my computer with the top of my head missing, just smoke coming out.

Over the last 15 or 20 years, I have 'tried' to attain some decent 1847 material. I remember those gems that I missed at auction. I was bidding heavy, but I just couldn't shake the other guy. Now I know why. I am now seeing many, many 1847's that I have lusted over, bid heavily on, and didn't get, all in the Gross 1847 sale. It was the proverbial bottle rocket (me, and my measly bank account) going up against a Saturn V (William Gross, and his MILLIONS). Now that they are all here, right in front of me again (taunting me, dare I say) I realize that there is no way I can get them all. I have a 2nd chance, just not at all of them. There are stamps and covers, from beginning to end of the sale, all of which call to me, and I will probably have to drop out after the first few dozen lots. I will jump on those that I can, but at some point I will simply run out of money.

I DO have a few lottery tickets for the drawing tonight, though.....

ETA: CANNOT wait to get the catalog!!! This one is a keeper!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by mootermutt987 - 10/06/2020 9:19 pm
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
Posted 10/06/2020   9:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add percyjgp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I saw this today, and the material is just amazing. Such an incredible collection of material.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
558 Posts
Posted 10/07/2020   07:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought it was interesting that the Rush cover (lot 552 - strip of 6 10 stamps to Paris) is estimated at $400,000 to $500,000. The cover was featured in its own single-lot hardbound catalog back in 2006 where Gross paid $1,200,000 plus the buyer premium.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
436 Posts
Posted 10/07/2020   08:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Estimates are part of the auction marketing. It is a ploy for irrational exuberance.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7113 Posts
Posted 10/07/2020   08:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamp collectors irrational????? Never..........
Pillar Of The Community
United States
558 Posts
Posted 10/07/2020   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is a ploy for irrational exuberance.

The estimate back in 2006 was $1,000,000 to $1,500,000. I think this reflects a change in the market rather than a "ploy for irrational exuberance"
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
Posted 10/07/2020   11:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many of the estimates actually seem kind of low (particularly on #2 multiples) to me. The quantity of material though may just limit prices as "how much money is there to go around?" I certainly can't bid even minimally on everything I want :-) !!!
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
Posted 10/07/2020   11:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
AND, if WMLangs stuff is as anticipated (on either side of this one) - that is a lot of high end stuff to be consumed. Is there a market to still exceed these estimates the way recent auctions have been doing????
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
436 Posts
Posted 10/07/2020   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Langs material is vastly a non overlap here. Gross is extreme depth without quality concerns. Langs is extreme breadth with questionable items.
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
Posted 10/07/2020   1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, since lot #502 is going to be such a deal ($800K off, how many bidders do you think there will be at or near the estimate? :-)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2241 Posts
Posted 10/07/2020   2:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
just realized that every lot has a reserve on it. This was not the case in the previous Gross sales to the best of my knowledge.

I pulled out and briefly flipped through the prior 3 Gross sales, and all of the lots I saw had the "reserve" symbol by them. I don't think this is new to this sale.

I am going to have to spend some time studying this sale. Magnificent material.
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
Posted 10/07/2020   7:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The hardcopy catalog is a beauty, probably the closest the public will come to seeing a book on Gross' 1847 collection.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
558 Posts
Posted 10/10/2020   1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just got my copy of the catalog in the mail. I thought the discussion of printing impression (early / intermediate / worn-plate / cleaned plate) and colors (p. 58-9) was well worth reading.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4984 Posts
Posted 10/10/2020   2:53 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Langs material is vastly a non overlap here. Gross is extreme depth without quality concerns. Langs is extreme breadth with questionable items.

This.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 772Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05