Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Consensus On Securing Stamp Mounts To A Page

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 806Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1902 Posts
Posted 10/13/2020   6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I lick 'em too, chasa.

Jack
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
671 Posts
Posted 10/13/2020   6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So, am I the only one that didn't realize there was adhesive on the back of the stamp mounts? All stamp mounts? Doh!
Edited by Moyock13 - 10/13/2020 6:51 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
523 Posts
Posted 10/13/2020   8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So, am I the only one that didn't realize there was adhesive on the back of the stamp mounts? All stamp mounts? Doh!

I would think so.
Which probably means that I am wrong and this thread will enlighten a few more souls.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2451 Posts
Posted 10/13/2020   9:08 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
a LITTLE bit of water whether using a hinge of a mount. Too much on a hinge and it squeezes out and your mint stamp becomes stuck to the album page (have seen a lot of this). Too much with a split back mount and presto change-o your NH stamp is NH no more (seen a lot of this too)
Valued Member
Learn More...
407 Posts
Posted 10/13/2020   9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I saw a tube of adhesive liquid (not called glue) associated with Hawid mounts.

I have not used it, but I believe the glue stick is to custom make your own sized mounts, not to mount them to the album page.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1040 Posts
Posted 10/13/2020   10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quote:

Moyock13, your mention of no adhesive reminded me of the recent discussion about Chinese mounts with no adhesive as in the following thread.

http://goscf.com/t/74387
Edited by No1philatelist - 10/13/2020 10:20 pm
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
Posted 10/13/2020   10:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add moneil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are two Hawid adhesive products:

Previously mentioned has been HAWID SPECIAL ADHESIVE for stamp mounts (one site adds to the name "for SF Pockets", but I'm not sure what that means). It is descripted as being "specially formulated for glueing polystyrene film. Its solvent-free formula makes it the perfect choice for remounting stamp mounts or for freely designing custom pages with your own selection of mounts". It is priced $3-$4 for a 0.4 oz (12ml) tube.

There is a HAWID SOLVENT PEN FOR STAMP MOUNTS. This is described as: "A tested Hawid product, use this simple and safe method for sealing top-cut mounts at the open edge. This 'solvent pen' is also useful when resizing mounts for special mounting projects. Simply run pen along open edge of you mount and press to seal. The fine point pen will lay a bead of solvent that welds the mount to the desired size.
Use with caution. The pen solvent should not come into contact with your stamp until adequately dried."
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2870 Posts
Posted 10/14/2020   07:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does the HAWID Solvent Pen work on non-HAWID mounts?
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5199 Posts
Posted 10/14/2020   07:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, the balance between the minor irritation of stamps moving within mounts and the severe distress of solvent-coated stamps.

SF pockets are simply the mounts.
Valued Member
481 Posts
Posted 10/14/2020   1:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use a paintbrush and apply a thin strip of water. I try to avoid too much, especially at the edges as the liquid will find its way to the part you put the stamp in. Definitely let it dry completely then carefully pull open the mount part and let it settle back down onto the backing. You'd be surprised how many times you'll see a dot of water still there. But you definitely don't need much water on the brush.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
699 Posts
Posted 10/16/2020   12:13 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For the rare time that water migrates into a mount, I keep a few 'cut squares' of paper towels handy and place one into the mount to aborb any moisture. Saves time over waiting for evaporation to do the same.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 806Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05