Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is Going On In Georgia?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,455Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1010 Posts
Posted 10/14/2020   10:45 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add rlsny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is a portion of the tracking for a package I sent October 1st. I've seen similar things happening recently. Is something that broken at the post office? It arrived at the same place 4 times, disappeared for 10 days and arrived there again? This is not normal.

Oct 14, 2020
1:27am
ARRIVE USPS FACILITY
ATLANTA, GA 30354

Oct 13, 2020
5:18pm
PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
NORTH METRO, GA 30026

Oct 3, 2020
9:08am
ARRIVE USPS FACILITY
ATLANTA, GA 30354

Oct 3, 2020
8:30am
ARRIVE USPS FACILITY
ATLANTA, GA 30354

Oct 3, 2020
7:49am
ARRIVE USPS FACILITY
ATLANTA, GA 30354

Oct 3, 2020
5:00am
ARRIVE USPS FACILITY
ATLANTA, GA 30354
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5053 Posts
Posted 10/14/2020   11:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Has been happening for me on a regular basis. I had a package coming from TX that went around in circles for ten days. The last entry showed it sitting in Dallas. An hour later it was on my doorstep in MA. The USPS is a hot mess.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1697 Posts
Posted 10/15/2020   02:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These issues are due to:

1- Unpredictable Covid-related changes in staffing due to quaranteening and rolling incidence of local illness affecting individual post offices and service centers.

2- PMG Dejoy's deliberate changes to equipment, staffing, and production policies that prevent efficiencies.

Earlier in the year, political demonstrations of all kinds likewise contributed to backlogging the USPS.
Edited by shermae - 10/15/2020 03:11 am
Valued Member
United States
466 Posts
Posted 10/15/2020   03:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I hate to say it, but this appears to be the new 'normal'. One of my 'joys' is to watch a tracked incoming package, and lately I have seen a few go in circles, too. When the COVID is over and after the election, perhaps things at the PO will get back to the old normal.
Learn More...
8636 Posts
Posted 10/15/2020   03:42 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The moronic hyper-political environment and heavily spun media stories aside, the USPS current situation reflects the changing demands of postal customers. The US postal service is simply continuing its evolution that started in 1775 of trying to meet the demands of a postal delivery system.

It is obvious that the USPS is scrambling to adjust to the significant decline in first class mail over the last 20 years; this year US first class mail volume will be half of what it was in 2001. And while first class mail volume has dropped off the map, parcel deliveries have risen 36% since 2015. Obviously the infrastructure and resources have to react to this drastically changing postal landscape and like any large organization this big ship does not change course quickly.

In its 2019 Annual Report, the USPS reported that Productivity has fallen each of the last four years at USPS, a cumulative decline of 4.7 percent. In the same time period, it reported that it was taking 27% longer to deliver first class mail (increase of an average of 1.7 days to an average of 2.3 days). My local USP service is running two routes now because our regular mail lady says she has a disability which does not allow her to lift anything heavier than a 2 pounds. So they have added a second, duplicate route with another person who just does the 2+ pound parcels and it now takes a day or two longer than it used to take for parcel deliveries. <shrugs>

The switchover from delivering first class mail to delivering packages will continue to stress the organization for a number of years. And of course having Congress dictating many of the controlling postal system factors (from how much they can charge to how they account of things like retirement benefits) only serves to make reacting to changes to the market demands slower and more costly.

Increased tracking capabilities often ends up becoming 'a watched pot' scenario, before tracking we just were frustrated by the total time it took for a mailed item to arrive. But now we get a blow-by-blow daily update that often serves to add frustration of a late parcel.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1297 Posts
Posted 10/15/2020   10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's no better in Canada and nothing political here.

I ordered a car part which was shipped from California August 28th. It arrived in British Columbia 3 days later which was over a two day weekend. Excellent service by the USPS.

It arrived in my mail box in Ontario 19 days later.

I mailed an envelope to another collector in Malta on August 11th. and it arrived October 11th, two months later.

From Nova Scotia to Ontario - two weeks.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5053 Posts
Posted 10/15/2020   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know that to a degree the decrease in air assets traveling has impacted deliveries.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2451 Posts
Posted 10/15/2020   11:37 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
But Don it has gotten significantly worse this year. You either have to blame Covid or the new management, or both.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6127 Posts
Posted 10/15/2020   1:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know that to a degree the decrease in air assets traveling has impacted deliveries.

This is a huge part. most don't realize how much mail travels via commercial airlines.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/t...freight1.htm
Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 10/15/2020   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add adamscheer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had an attempted delivery on October 6th of an envelope I had to sign for. Bell did not work. Asked for redelivery on October 8th. Now October 15th and no attempted redelivery since. I have now filed to complaints with USPS and just have case numbers and nothing else. They said they will investigate.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
989 Posts
Posted 10/15/2020   3:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Increased tracking capabilities often ends up becoming 'a watched pot' scenario, before tracking we just were frustrated by the total time it took for a mailed item to arrive.

I once started drawing an elaborate, satirical picture of how my imagination explained USPS inefficiency. I was 12 years old at the time. The year was 1978.

Quote:

I buy a lot of stuff from Japan, and that has definitely been a factor. Japan Post's airmail service to the U.S. for uninsured small packets and printed matter just resumed last week. No telling when SAL and EMS registered airmail will be available again.
Edited by erilaz - 10/15/2020 3:18 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
464 Posts
Posted 10/15/2020   5:42 pm  Show Profile Check wheelman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheelman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two opposing scenarios.
I have had more than one package of car parts and at least one shipment of stamp supplies that took 2 2 1/2 weeks to arrive via "Priority Mail". Like some of the other posts, one of them made three trips to the Atlanta PO before finally making it to my local delivery.
The opposite of that happened just this week. A priority mail purchase was shipped on Friday with an expected delivery of Tuesday. Sunday morning a USPS truck came by the house (we are in the boonies quite a distance from the local PO) and I commented to my wife that I clearly understand why the PO is not making money. Later that afternoon my package showed up. Two trips the same day to a remote delivery - yeah they made money that day!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
55 Posts
Posted 10/16/2020   07:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnimatedFDCs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The decrease in air traffic has absolutely had an effect on shipping. All services not just postal service. I won an auction lot in Germany and received my delivery three months later. I could "see" the package moving, and stalling, and moving again throughout. I had just about given up hope when it finally started to show up again and was delivered two days later. I think there are numerous forces at work, almost a perfect storm, but I don't think it's anything nefarious. Just everyone/everything adapting to changing conditions.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1435 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   09:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe you folks live in the wrong places.

Friday, Oct. 9, parcel mailed from Oakhurst, CA to me in Lakewood, CO. Arrived on Tuesday, Oct. 13 (the 12th was a federal holiday)

On the 15th, received express mail from CT, within two days.

***Politics removed***
Edited by Climber Steve - 10/18/2020 09:13 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1010 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   11:48 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For the record most of my deliveries go through quickly as expected. This particular package though can't seem to get out of Atlanta. Since I posted this it departed Atlanta and came back again. Ugh!

Wednesday, Oct 14, 2020 10:57 PM ATLANTA , GA PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY

Wednesday, Oct 14, 2020 11:35 PM ATLANTA , GA DEPART USPS FACILITY

Saturday, Oct 17, 2020 10:21 AM ATLANTA , GA PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY

The buyer wants a replacement. I think they're willing to wait a bit longer, but ARGH!

R

Valued Member
United Kingdom
343 Posts
Posted 10/19/2020   07:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here in UK our post seems to be doing very well. Sometimes I even send a parcel second class, which is supposed to take 2-3 days, and find the buyer has left feedback for me the next day.

Mind you, the UK is pretty small compared to US or Canada.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,455Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.05 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05