Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opinions Needed. Does This Look Like An 85c Or Not?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 757Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
15 Posts
Posted 10/15/2020   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jjdevi1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
All,

Am asking opinions about this one..... It measures 11x14, and I THINK it is an 85C. Hope the pics are good enough! Am going to send it off to APS, but would like to get opinions here first.

Thanks,

John

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2371 Posts
Posted 10/15/2020   5:47 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You would need to post a better image if you want a good answer. I have commented several times on the best way to view a grill.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1009 Posts
Posted 10/16/2020   10:21 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
He is saying it is a Z grill - Scott 85C. It looks possible to me - I'm trying to see if the ridges are horizontal. They might be, but as Sinclair points out we need better lighting on the grill to see it more clearly.
Valued Member
United States
15 Posts
Posted 10/16/2020   11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jjdevi1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I get a chance, I will see what I can do with the pictures. Thanks!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2371 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   10:36 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the image is a bit stretched horizontally which contributes to the suggestion that the points could be horizontal. The problem is it appears to possibly have a partial row at top and only around 16 horizontal rows. It is 99.9999999% likely to be an E grill but you should still learn how to view a grill. Spend your time and money on learning and not on certs! A low quality #88 will return about 1/8th of the cost of getting the cert.
Valued Member
United States
15 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jjdevi1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Only one problem with me reading a grill...... I'm slowly loosing my eyesight!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2371 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   9:00 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm very sorry to hear that. Try to post a good photo of the stamp. The only light the stamp should get is that coming from a low angle, preferably running diagonally across the stamp.
Valued Member
United States
15 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jjdevi1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can probably do it with a desk lamp and my ipad. When I get a chance, I'll play with it. I can't tell even looking at it if the points are up or down! The grill measures the correct size, but the direction, now up or down is a big difference! lol
Pillar Of The Community
United States
571 Posts
Posted 10/21/2020   07:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add srailkb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a Scott 88, E-grill. The shade & impression are not consistent w/ a genuine 3c Z-grill, nor is the grill impression, (and especially) nor is the horizontal "half ridge" of points at top (in fact, the horizontal half-ridge is the easiest & quickest way to spot E-grills if you're just quickly flipping through grilled stamps).
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 757Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05