Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Few Curiosities From The French Colonies

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 667Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Poland
81 Posts
Posted 10/16/2020   2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add sopotsopot to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Recently I managed to buy a really large collection of French colonies. I plan to examine it thoroughly and then sell individual stamps. I found a lot of good and interesting material and decided to share a few interesting facts with you. If there is interest in this topic, I will add more photos. I will also be grateful for any comments. So far I have only used Michel's catalog, but it is very imprecise in these areas. I am waiting impatiently for the already purchased Maury catalog.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4925 Posts
Posted 10/16/2020   2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I really enjoy looking at your material. Please continue to post! Great stamps.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2739 Posts
Posted 10/16/2020   4:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
interesting stamps.
the Congo stamps are trial proofs.
http://www.philafrica.be/CHASSEPOT/essais.htm
The Guadelonpe overprint error exist in several forms; like Gnadeloupe also.
The Chine "A PERCEVOIR" looks forged to me.
The 1903 Guadeloupe G&D 5 surcharge looks like a forgery.The right tip of the serif on top of the 5 points to high.Also the serifed G is to narrow.The inside portion of the D is to roundish on the right.There are many variants of G&D put it doesn't fit with any of them.
The Madagascar "Majunga" manuscript ovpt. stamps are forgeries.The genuine style of the numerals are not like in those stamps.These should have a readable cancel of 25 Fev 1895.It was a provisional stamp.There are some very good forgeries on the market.Genuine ones with a cancel sell for over 2000$.They only exist used.
Edited by perf12 - 10/16/2020 5:01 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1613 Posts
Posted 10/16/2020   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, please keep posting. The images and both excellent and extremely interesting.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1413 Posts
Posted 10/16/2020   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice stamps. Yes, please show some more when you get the chance.

I am laughing about one thing. You live in Poland and you're buying French colonies. Couple years ago, I sold my French area collections, except for St. Pierre, so I could buy more Poland stamps. Poland is one of my three main specialties, along with Mexico, Portugal & colonies.
Valued Member
Poland
81 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   01:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sopotsopot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am aware that some of the stamps are fake, this is always the case in old large collections. Today I will try to show you another portion. I will still appreciate any comments.
Valued Member
Poland
81 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   05:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sopotsopot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I throw in another batch of photos. As always, I am waiting for all comments. I also have a question about the CHINE 2 Cents stamp - because I can't find it in the catalog.

As I mentioned, I plan to sell stamps from this collection individually and I have this question: Where in your opinion is the best to sell French colonies? eBay or Delcampe? or maybe another service? What are your experiences?

Pillar Of The Community
France
1287 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   05:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
China 2 cents over 25 cents is Yvert # 19 (from 1901)
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2739 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   07:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Chine 2c on 25c (1901) is a forgery. The 'CHINE'overprint is askew and poorly printed ,wrong color.Plus it has the same color shade as the 2c overprint.For your reference the pic below of the genuine stamp is from a Siegal auction 1091,2015,lot 57.

The french India red cross inverted overprint is a forgery.Wrong shapes in the cross,5, & c.Like many French colonies overprinted & surcharged stamps from this time;they were pure speculative creations.The red cross overprinted stamp was sold out in 1 day.Collectors were grabbing up anything that was issued in any form;inverted surcharges were purposely done to satisfy collectors.
Valued Member
Poland
81 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   08:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sopotsopot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, what do you think about the other stamps?
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2739 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   09:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Senegal 1F surcharge looks GENUINE.
The red cross overprints are not conform.Wrong shape of 5 and poor printing.

Chine same thing ."CHINE" not conform,poor printing & letter shapes.
The genuine double types are clear and distinct.

The inverted "CHINE" on the 5c green indochine is doubtful.
Valued Member
Romania
242 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   1:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "Navigation and Commerce" stamps were forged by Fournier and also the overprint applied on them.
Because I have genuine stamps and forging, I can give you some information to identify them:
1.Perforation. 17 teeth vertically = forgerie / 16 = genuine
2.Gumm. white, translucent = forgerie / yellow, brownish = genuine.
3.Design. Flattened fruit, fingerless hand = forgerie / round fruit, correct hand = genuine.
Some examples from my stamps:
PACKHOI overprint stamps are forgerie (17 teeth)
The pair with overprint 05 is genuine (1.5 mm between 0 and 5 is normal / distance of 2 mm is variety). Check the distances to your pair, I have the impression that it is more than 2 mm.Possible forged overprint on genuine stamp.
Guadeloupe with G&D 5 double overprint is forged stamp (17 teeth)
Guadeloupe with G&D 15 inverted overprint is forged stamp (17 teeth)

Valued Member
Poland
81 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   2:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sopotsopot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
some examples of the general issue

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2739 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Imperial general Colony stamps are very nice.The ones you marked are fake.identifiable cancels are always worth more
a list of the Letter markings in the lozenge cancels.
CCH (Cochinchine)
DJ (Djibouti Côte des Somalis)
GPE (Guadeloupe)
GUY FRANC (Guyane)
MQE (Martinique)
NCE (Nouvelle Calédonie)
NSB (Nossi-Bé)
SPM (Saint -Pierre-et-Miquelon)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
556 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great thread! Nice scans with good information and helpful comments. Kudos all around!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4925 Posts
Posted 10/19/2020   12:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed. I learned a lot.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 667Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.02 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05