Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Siegel Changing Auction Platforms

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 83 / Views: 2,658Next Topic
Page: of 6
Valued Member
Learn More...
489 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looked briefly at the new auction platform website. As noted above, they claim to tailor the auction platform design etc. to the needs of the auction house. Wonder whether that means that they have made Siegel's platform to look like it's in-house or whether this new auction facility is really Siegel's in-house affair? Or maybe there's no difference to a non tech guy like me.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Oracle of Delphi - 10/17/2020 5:20 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2208 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with most of what has been posted. This is big news and will certainly negatively affect SAN.

I do agree that modernization is important, in general, and SAN is certainly old-style. I do appreciate that the low-tech web design approach from SAN probably helps their performance a lot. That said, enough fast servers and good connectivity to the internet from the hosting site could offset any slowdown. Time will tell.

I like the SAN agent a lot. I may have to hire a real agent once again. Imagine.
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2286 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looked briefly at the new auction platform website. As noted above, they claim to tailor the auction platform design etc. to the needs of the auction house. Wonder whether that means that they have made Siegel's platform to look like it's in-house or whether this new auction facility is really Siegel's in-house affair? Or maybe there's no difference to a non tech guy like me.

Oracle,

From a tech perspective, it works like this the auction software (Auction Mobility) is the back-end powering the site, like the engine under the hood of a car. The outward appearance, including most of the cosmetic stuff, is the front-end, like the body styling of a car. It can be customized to fit the design needs of the operator (Siegel).

It's similar to how many websites work today. Rather than custom building every piece of a website, most are a combination of other pieces of software running behind a custom front-end that the website operator chooses. For example, SCF is powered by Snitz forum software, but the appearance, etc., are custom to SCF. The whole setup is then hosted by SCF on their server, under the full control of SCF, etc.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Valued Member
Learn More...
489 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postmaster - thanks for the explanation.

Went on the Siegel website, followed their instructions to register for the next auction and reset my password. All I got was "the token has expired or does not exist". Tried a few times - same result. Went back in anew, tried it again and it worked. I have no clue.
Edited by Oracle of Delphi - 10/17/2020 6:13 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4906 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   6:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is this correct that Siegel is going to the way of Rasdale Stamp Auctions , which has their auction site where it is on a timer and there is a count down in the bidding . This is a lot better than having a person asking for the next bid and talking over everyone's bidding .A much more pleasant experience .
Learn More...
8484 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   6:11 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The majority of online users use mobile devices; SAN not being developed with a modern responsive design was a poor decision on their part. And it appears that they are seeking to get their ROI for the provenance feature in a few years; I assume that they had to take this approach (as opposed to a deeper pocket longer term approach).

The real value that SANS has is the data mining that they should be able to do; selling trend data and other less-then-obvious marketing data. If they are not getting the most out of this, and if they do not bring their interface into this century then I do not see how they will survive.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4925 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Siegel will have their regular roster of auctions but will be adding countdown auctions and that is big news for me because it will likely be more bread and butter material as opposed to "Jumbo 100's" and "the finest of the ten known" type stamps.

I am all for the change even though I really like SAN. I now bid with at least three firms that live bid through their own site platforms and each one has been a positive experience.

I, as others do, surmise that the provenance thing soured the grapes for some houses. I can see their side in that the information given could definitely temper bidding. On the other side I think that the transparency was a positive thing for bidders.
Valued Member
Learn More...
398 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I, too, like SAN for the ability to go to one location to bid on many auctions.

I have one simple complaint about it from a non-technical standpoint. I REALLY wish SAN would email you a reminder if you have saved any lots against an auction.

I have forgotten to bid several times on items I really wanted. Auction houses should request this feature as well - it is costing you $$$$$
United States
4 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tldroege to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So.... this is all news to me, Tom Droege, over here at StampAuctionNetwork. Can't really comment on anything, but the items that are non-Siegel related.

Technology. Our site is old-school, lowest common denominator in some respects. That has been a challenge for us. I hope people recognize that we serve a customer base with a media age of 70+. To put this in perspective, the last major site overhaul included "drop down menu". Lets say we had a lot of complaints. Given our market, we have chosen to focus on content, and as noted data and metrics. We believe that is the best direction to attract the next generation of collectors. If you have not heard, with this in mind, we put out "Provenance Express", a native IOS ap for your phone that gives you a handbook on a sample of the stamps and their historical realizations. We intend to expand in this area.

As to sending out notices to bidders before the sale. That is something we can easily do, and if a StampAuctionNetwork customer uses our AMS backend they can do it there. Given that we already send out a number of emails, new auctions, saved searches, want lists and that the sending of bid notifications is more properly handled by the auction firm -- we have chosen to leave that to the auction firm and remove the duplicate effort and at times the confusion. For instance if an auction house sends out a bid notification, they have their entire bid book if they want to provide openings. If we send it out, we only have SAN bids and openings. Not to mention, it relies on getting though email blocking. But if there is significant interest in that we can add that feature and do it on a customer sign up basis.

I have known about Auction Mobility for almost 10 years now. They have a fine system. One of my wine clients, Hart Davis Hart uses them and are very pleased with the technology. In fact, they were interested in buying StampAuctionNetwork, but it would have resulted in tremendous price increases to all of the auction firms at StampAuctionNetwork so I did not want to be involved.

As to how StampAuctionNetwork works. It has never been a secret. StampAuctionNetwork does not get a percentage, each auction firm pays a fixed amount to place their sales at StampAuctionNetwork.

One of the significant trends in this industry is access to multiple market place sites like StampAuctionNetwork. When Philasearch started to become big, we saw it as an opportunity. Competition makes it better for all of us, and it soon became apparent that the leading auction houses that were using Philasearch were also using us, and that made it easier to get the European houses that were not at StampAuctionNetwork on our platform. We hope Siegel stays at StampAuctionNetwork and of course we would welcome that he does.

- Tom Droege
StampAuctionNetwork
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
128 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So.... this is all news to me, Tom Droege

Isn't that nice. Do you mean that Siegel made this announcement without telling you their plans?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
976 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   10:48 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have multiple reactions to all this. On the one hand SAN has been a huge boon by bringing auctions to a wider audience. As a computer guy from long back I believe that a good user interface should be intuitive so that even someone with no tech background can use it without difficulty. The stamp buying community is getting younger at the moment and in addition, the next generation of 70+ people will be more tech savvy anyway. I would encourage the build out of a next generation system. In any case I'm a huge fan of SAN as it stands and hope it continues to be a central hub for keeping track of what's happening in stamp auctions everywhere. Perhaps Siegel won't be live auctioning there anymore, but I hope they still at least make their catalog available there so we can continue to rely on SAN in that capacity.
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   10:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will be bidding at Siegel's next couple of sales through SAN, mostly because there is material there that I REALLY want, they are both within the next two weeks, and I don't want to screw something up in my transition to another platform for these two sales. After that, I guess I better make the transition.

I am used to using SAN and am sorry that Seigel's feels compelled to make this change. I like the idea of going to one site and seeing most of the auctions that are coming up, and in chronological order - it makes it easier to plan when I need to be online.

I hope this will not adversely affect the Provenance feature on SAN.

Anyway, I guess the era of me going to one site to see what is upcoming is coming to an end.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2208 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   11:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At SAN I like the purchase history a lot. Its a useful record in one place of much of what I've bought in the past few years across firms.

As convenient a consolidated service like SAN is, maybe some competition would be good. We'll see.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4925 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   07:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Having thought about this overnight I am pretty much happy about it. If Siegel saw value in putting resources into the platform and more importantly expanding the auction schedule by offering "countdown" auctions that indicates an optimistic view of the future for them IMO. I love SAN for its broad scope of houses and its presence has made it so much easier to participate in a great variety of auctions and view material and data that would have been difficult or impossible to assemble otherwise. But having all of the eggs in one basket is never the most prudent approach and I think more houses should have a fallback if financially and technologically feasible for them.

The most valuable asset that SAN has is its data and Tom sees that. As long as SAN can maintain clear ownership of said data AND keep it current it is worth a cost of membership to access.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4906 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   08:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with ROGDCAM about SAN ,I prefer their simple to use platform and having the same platform for various auction houses .
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 83 / Views: 2,658Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05