Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Siegel Changing Auction Platforms

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 107 / Views: 3,777Next Topic
Page: of 8
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1366 Posts
Posted 10/19/2020   4:58 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was at Kelleher last February and after waiting for 3 hours the lot I really wanted finally came up. I was high bidder and then there was that pause. Suddenly folks started laughing and I realized I was making hammering motions with my invisible hammer trying to get him to close the lot. He looked up and laughed and hammered it home to me!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
58 Posts
Posted 10/19/2020   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bankruptcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not yet sure about auction mobility. As mentioned, it does have a more up-to-date look and feel, which is nice. However, I can't find a way to "jump" bid increments like SAN. If bidding looks to be slowing down but still going, sometimes you could jump increments to stop other bidders. It doesn't always work, but it could.

Another thing I can't seem to do in auction mobility is message the auction. I usually do this to request an extension.

Still hate it when John takes the floor over the online bids. He is consistent with that and stops me from bidding when he's the auctioneer.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1003 Posts
Posted 10/19/2020   6:05 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, missing features include: pass button, skip bid, and message the floor. Message the floor saved me once from a miss-click - I bid too late and ended up bidding on the wrong lot - a quick message to the floor got them to withdraw my bid. I suspect the lack of a "bid now" button on the phone may be intentional since they clearly do have a mobile site. It will be interesting to see how it evolves.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
149 Posts
Posted 10/19/2020   6:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another thing that I will miss on Auction Mobility is a downloadable log of the bidding. If a dealer tells me their paddle number, I can quickly see what they acquired and where I can potentially make a deal with them after the auction. I'm often not fully prepared to bid on every lot I might like to buy during live bidding, and if I can strike a deal for a couple of increments over the dealer's cost, it can work for both of us.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1003 Posts
Posted 10/19/2020   6:44 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
filled a couple holes today - used the mobility site with success
Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 10/19/2020   6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that they are trying to level the playing field and some of the ???? BIG BOYS don't like it because they can't manipulate the bid. This will allow more common/new collectors to have a chance.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4975 Posts
Posted 10/19/2020   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ZMAN -----There are no BIG BOYS ,nobody out there has nothing to gain by manipulating the bid .I bid at 5 auctions on a regular basis ,the only way you beat me is by raising your bid .

For years I meet a lot of "BIG BOYS" in the hobby but I don't see them bidding on a regular basis ,sure they may buy a special stamp or a cover but they are not sitting at auctions and cleaning up lots .
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
149 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   07:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ZMAN - If there are any BIG BOYS, they are the auction houses themselves. The auction houses are really just dealers with a different business model than traditional dealers. To the extent that any "manipulation" of the bidding occurs, it is the auction houses that are in the best position to do so. They can pass on a lot or enter their own bids whenever they think it in their financial interest. In most cases, they know who is bidding on the lot, and that may influence their strategy, too.

FLOORTRADER is right - the only way to beat him or any other top bid is by raising your own bid.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
436 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   08:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Manipulation isn't even needed with a 20% rake. The winning model is trust. This is why I get concerned with shoddy lot listings.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
581 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   09:00 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I logged on to SAN yesterday and went to the Siegel auction. It seems like bidding was allowed still on SAN. Does anyone know if the bidding on SAN synced with the bidding on Siegel's site. There's some items coming up I'm interested in and was wondering if I could just bid on SAN or if I actually had to bid on Siegel's site?
Valued Member
118 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   09:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fantail to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is not a 20% take, it is closer to 35-40%. They eat from both ends. The bidder pays 20% and the seller, 15-20%.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7119 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   09:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are certainly "big boys"; dealers who show up at every major house auction willing and able to spend six figures. And yes, in theory anyone can be outbid, but it is more difficult to outbid someone who knows they have a customer waiting, or who knows that they can sell a significant portion of a large lot for 2 or 3 or 4 times what they pay for it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1374 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   09:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1typesetter: At yesterday's sale bids were accepted from both platforms, and it seemed the auctioneer at times had difficulty juggling and keeping track. You can still use SAN.
Valued Member
58 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   10:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bankruptcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1typesetter, you can still bid on SAN without going to the Siegel site. The auctioneer tracks both SAN and auction mobility separately.

I went back to SAN for the second session yesterday and it was fine.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
581 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   11:20 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all. Just a little apprehensive that Siegel will try to keep the bids straight.
Page: of 8 Previous TopicReplies: 107 / Views: 3,777Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05